Emily & the Elephant Rocker

(Theodore: Newborn)

"Tada!" I stepped away from the newly painted green wall, smiling at Parker. "And you said I couldn't do it."

"I said no such thing," Parker said, from his seated position on the floor. He was assembling the crib for Lee's new baby's nursery.

"You mocked me when I said I was going to turn this nursery into a jungle. And look at it now!"

"A green wall and a half-assembled black crib," Parker deadpanned. "How do you do it?"

"Shut up, asshole."

I plopped down next to him, picking up the instruction manual as I laid my head on his shoulder. "Doesn't this bring back memories?"

"Of assembling my own child's crib? Yeah. And that was just as annoying." Parker let out a frustrated sigh, shoving the wooden frame away from him. "Only my brother would have the baby first and then decide to get shit ready for it."

"They're keeping the baby Parker. I think you're missing the most important part."

He cast me a sidelong glance to which I just smiled.

"And when, exactly, were you planning on telling them that you wanted to adopt the baby?" Parker asked.

"I didn't want to adopt the baby," I said, lowering my eyes at him. "However, I wasn't going to let another family take him."

"That baby is all you've talked about for the past three months. You have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to Casey Adams, which would have never been his name by the way."

"Fuck off Parker."

"Don't you watch reality TV?" Parker continued. "When that kid found out that his adopted parents were actually his Aunt and Uncle and he found out who his real parents were, he could've turned to drugs or violence. Or worse."

I turned to stare at Parker for a few moments. "I don't watch nearly as much reality TV as you apparently."

"The point is, you haven't stopped gushing over that baby since the moment he was born."

"And?" I demanded, standing up. "He is my nephew. And more importantly, he's your brother's kid. Why shouldn't I obsess over him a bit?"

"A bit would be buying the kid a stuffed animal or a wardrobe, not an entire nursery."

"What the hell has gotten into you?" I asked. "You have been nothing but bitter since the day Theo was born, and it's about damn time you start talking."

"Is that not what I'm doing?"

I didn't know what had gotten into him, but I didn't want him to stick around for me to find out. I had more important matters to deal with, like having the riders ready by the time Lee and Naomi brought the baby home.

"You've done enough for today," I muttered. "Why don't you go and pick up Jamie Lee from Emmett's and I'll be home shortly."

Parker sat the wooden pieces of the crib down, slowly standing up. "So that's it? We're just ending it there?"

"I don't know why you're looking for a fight Parker. I mean, you're right. I would've taken Theo if they'd given him up for adoption. But they didn't. So now I'll shower him with my unconditional love as Aunt Emily instead."

"And that's the end of it?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

Parker let his head drop back, letting out a long sigh. "Because I heard you talking to Emmett the other day."