Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

      “Jules!” I heard my name being called. I looked up from my phone, and grinned.

      “Hi Izzy!” I said, running up to her.

      “Hey!” she said.

      “What about me?” Kim asked, pouting.

      “Oh… hey Kim!” I said. Mia snorted. I really wanted to kill that bitch… or at least punch her…

      “So you guys ready to shop?” Izzy asked.

      “Is that even a question?” Mia said. We were at the mall, and the plan was to shop for a few hours, and then go back over to Izzy’s house to chill. Owen and Logan weren’t coming with, because shopping wasn’t on their list of priorities.

      “Where to first?” Kim asked, twirling her hair. I hate when girls do that- twirling their hair to appear.... I don’t know… attractive, I guess? I think it makes them look dumb and unintelligent.

      “Pink!” Mia suggested excitedly. I shook my head. I don’t shop there anymore. It’s an okay store and all, but some of the stuff is just… trashy. Also, it just reminds me of the person I was, and how I was wrongly influenced by the people around me.

      “That’s what I was going to say!” Izzy said, linking arms with Mia. Those two…

      “OMG! Jules do you like totally want to go into like Pink too?” Kim asked, in a mocking voice.

      “Yeah! Totally!” I said, mimicking her sound. We both looked at each other, and started cracking up.

      “We do not sound like that!” Mia said, as we started out in the direction of the frightful store named after a color.

      “Who said anything about the two of you?” I questioned. “For all you know, we could’ve been taking our inspiration from these two… lovely girls I know, who go by the names of Emily and Taylor.”

      “Okay, let’s just go,” Izzy said, trying to avoid conflict at all costs. I had noticed that a lot about her; whenever something emerged that could lead into a heated “debate,” she would tend to step in and extinguish it, before the flame turned into a full on fire. I guess she just liked keeping the peace, and arguing wasn’t part of that.

      “Okay,” Kim said agreeably. The four of us walked down the glistening tiled mall floor, stopping occasionally to peer into a window that caught someone’s attention. I stopped twice to stare in awe at two of the captivating shoe store displays we passed, and was hauled away by Kim for zoning out. I can’t help it! Shoes are just so amazing!

      “Ready?” Izzy asked, as we stood in front of the brightly colored, dimly lit retailer.

      “Yup,” I gulped. We stepped into the store, as a wave of nostalgia hit me. I had been in the same situation many times before; the only difference was, I didn’t have real friends by my side… and Mia. Returning to this store two short years later, without the people I thought to be my best friends, felt weird.

      “Hi! Welcome to Pink!” a salesgirl greeted cheerfully. “I’m Allie, just tell me if you need any help!”

      “Thanks,” Kim regarded the blonde politely.

      “Why are we here again?” I groaned.

      “Because I wanted a pair of yoga pants, and Mia wants a Raglan shirt,” Izzy answered, as a near table drew her in, capturing her sole with its black, stretchy pants. I watched as Mia carried herself over to a rack of blouses ranging from vibrant pink to dismal black. Yup, they were gone.