Chapter 14: The One and Only*

Ace's POV:

When I saw Max walk away, I knew I made a big mistake. She was only trying to help and I shut her out really bad. I sighed and walked back to my motorcycle and drove home. As I walked into the house, I saw my Mom and Jayden crying through the window. That just made the knife dig deeper into my heart.

"Ace, honey," Mom sobbed and I ran into her arms and hugged her.

"Mom," I said hugging her and Jayden wrapped his small arms around both of us and cried.

"Why did you leave us?" Jayden asked through tears and that broke my heart.

"I am so sorry for leaving," I said, "I was just mad at Dad and I needed some fresh air."

"It's okay Ace, I knew that you were mad. You have a short temper and you just needed to let off the steam," Mom said pulling away.

"I am still very sorry Mom," I said sadly and Mom nodded.

"I know you are and we forgive you okay?" Mom asked and Jayden nodded.

"Just promise that you won't do it anymore," Jayden said and I nodded.

"Of course Jay. I promise that I won't do it anymore," I said, "How about I take you for ice cream?"

"Yay! Mommy do you want to come?" Jayden asked Mom and she smiled warmly.

"It's okay Jay, you and Ace go. I am going to stay home and work on documents okay?" Mom asked and Jayden nodded.

"Okay Mommy! Let's go Ace!" Jayden said marching out the door.

"I am really proud to have you as a son," Mom said to me when Jayden was already out the door, "I can always count on you to take care of your brother."

"Thank you Mom," I said and walked out the door. Jayden hopped on my motorcycle with a big smile.

"Can we ride on your motorcycle?" Jayden asked and I nodded.

"Of course we can bud," I said giving him his helmet and getting on myself. I drove to the park where an ice cream parlor was and Jayden and I walked over there. A woman in her fifties greeted us.

"Hi, what would you like today?" she asked warmly.

"What would you like buddy?" I asked Jayden.

"I want one scoop of chocolate and one scoop of strawberry on a cone!" Jayden exclaimed and I laughed.

"One scoop of chocolate and one scoop of strawberry in a cone please," I said to the woman and flashed her a smile.

"Of course, anything else?" she asked.

"And can I have two scoops of mint chocolate chip in a cone?" I asked and the woman nodded.

"Of course honey," she said getting our ice cream and handing it to us, "That will be 6 dollars." I handed her a 10-dollar bill and told her to keep the change. Then Jayden and I walked to a bench in the park. Jayden started to happily lick his ice cream.

"Where did you go when you left?" Jayden asked.

"I went to the park and ran into Max," I said and instantly regretted saying that last park.

"What did you say to her?" Jayden asked curiously.

"I snapped at her," I said sighing.

"Why?" Jayden asked.

"Well I wasn't in the mood, so she left and I couldn't say sorry. I really regret it bud," I said looking down.

"Do you like Max, Ace?" Jayden asked and I almost dropped my ice cream.