28

The kiss lingered. Everywhere I went, it was there-tickling, teasing, reminding me of the sacred moment in the car, the look in Luke's eyes, the way it had come about unannounced and unprecedented-I couldn't go to class or say anything without smiling, Rachael pointed out, but then decided to leave matters at that. She didn't press me, which was fortunate, considering the fact that I would have had no idea how to explain myself if she had.

I had kissed Luke before; none of this was new. But, somehow, this felt different. Especially after the past few days, with the mention of our relationship becoming something more, the memories of the crash and the hospital-everything felt different.

But what was the most shocking and different part of it all was the fact that he hadn't apologized, or called it "fake". He had kissed me goodbye, told me to have a good day, and drove off. Like a couple. Like a real couple.

I couldn't shake the feeling that things were changing, and for the better this time.

And so I kept it with me. I moved throughout the day, finalizing plane tickets in-between classes and making sure the dress I ordered was delivered and-upon Rachael's request-calling Mom to ensure her that yes, we were still coming, and no, Luke had not broken up with me, nor I with him. I had to admit, I got a little thrill in my chest upon talking about Luke as if he were my boyfriend-which was something I'd been doing for a month now-but having the possibility of meaning it.

________

That night, I got a ride home with Rachael, who gushed over my dress and hung around in my room as I packed, with Luke on speakerphone.

"You have a tux, right?" I asked him, and Rachael groaned.

"Vicki, you've asked him that four times."

Nevertheless, Luke answered, pushing the words through a sigh.

"Yes, Hemmings, I have the damn tux. Do I need to bring my passport?"

At this, my best friend laughed outright.

"He's joking, right?"

I opened my mouth to defend him, but Rachael cupped her hands over her mouth and shouted into the phone,

"You don't need a passport to go to Florida, idiot."

"Harsh words from someone who hasn't been out of the state," he quipped, and I jumped in quickly, stung.

"That was Rachael, not me!"

"Was it? I can't tell the difference between your voices."

This simply caused the redhead to burst into more peals of laughter, and I made a face at her.

"Whatever. No, you don't need a passport. If you've got everything else packed, you should be fine. I still a few things left, but I'll get it done. Any more questions?"

"Yes. Do I have to get up early?"

I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see me.

"Yeah. Get here by seven at the latest."

"Ugh," he replied, and then, "Also, Nolan would like to know if he can come."

I clucked my tongue, forcing back a smile. "Tell him I'm sorry-we don't have enough money or time for another ticket. Plus, he would need a date."

"Well, Rachael's free, isn't she?"

At this, my gaze flit to Rachael, who grinned at me.

"What does he look like?"

Not your type, I mouthed, and she shrugged, flopping onto my bed with a magazine.

"I'll tell him no," Luke said finally, and I could almost hear the smile in his voice. "But he's not going to be happy about it."

"We can deal with the brutal honesty later. For right now, I'm just trying to get us both there alive."

"And we will. Honestly, I'm more worried about getting out of there alive."

"I second that," Rachael called, and I blew out a breath.

"We'll be fine. Hopefully."

"I don't like the uncertainty in your tone, Hemmings."

"Yeah, Hemmings," Rachael added jokingly, as if trying out the use of my last name. She then directed her gaze at the phone-or, rather, at Luke, saying, "Who do you think you are, a football coach? Her name's Vicki."

"Alright then, Vicki," Luke said, and I felt a jolt at the name my father and friends reserved for me. Swiftly, I took the phone off of speaker and muttered,

"It's Victoria to you. Don't call me...that. Understood?"

"Yes, ma'am," he said, through a laugh, his voice warm and clear. "It was just a joke, Victoria."

"Yeah, well, it isn't to me."

"Are you ever going to tell me why you're so serious about this?"

No.

Out loud, I said,

"Of course I am. You'll just have to be patient. Is there anything else you need?"

"Nope. Have fun with Rachael. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bright and early," I reminded him.

"Bright and early," he echoed. "See you then, Hemmings."

"Okay," I said, and there was a pause-suddenly I was overcome with the need to add something to it, to fill the empty, expectant space, but I was too reluctant. "Bye."

"Bye," he replied, and I could have sworn there was disappointment in his voice, and it tugged at my heartstrings.

But I didn't have much time to think about it, because the phone clicked off, and I turned to Rachael, who was now sitting up, her brows raised.

"What?" I asked, trying to hide my smile.

She just shook her head, laughing slightly before saying,

"One day, when you understand the term expressing your feelings, get back to me. And then I'll tell you why I think you're acting ridiculous."

I rolled my eyes, chucking a pillow at her, but she dodged it easily, laughing.

"So what do you think? Mean Girls or Clueless?"

"Whatever you want," I replied, zipping up my finally-packed bag. "I'm fine with either."

"Maybe not a comedy," she sighed, leaning back on the pillows. "Maybe more of a romance...we haven't seen When Harry Met Sally in a while, want to give it a shot? Or maybe Titanic, or The Notebook?"

She kept rattling off movie titles, but I tuned her out, staring at my phone, wishing it would ring again or that I had enough courage to dial Luke's number and finish the sentence that I'd intended to say as we parted.

But I didn't, so I just waited, watching the blank screen and waiting for a call that I knew was not going to come.