Chapter 49: Speeding cars

Iroh's P.O.V

The rest of the evening was rather boring, especially for Saira, who spent most of her time either with Urmi or Lin. Saira asked me to enjoy myself and told me "that she was only pregnant and not dying". So I did as she said and had many conversations with the council and friends of Tenzin and Pema. I also met Katrina, who tried to convince me to dance with her. I seriously wondered how she got in here, as far as I knew she didn't have any relation to Tenzin or Pema. Saira and Urmi knew each other to my surprise but I was happy about it. I talked to Urmi after a very long time, years have passed since we talked last time. She told us that only a few years left for her to become a doctor. To my surprise, Saira was perfectly informed about the profession. As I asked about her knowledge, she told me that she was interested in the human's body and that she was reading a lot medical books. It was important for Saira to have general knowledge in everything, to understand people and their psychology. After a few hours, the wedding ended and we were allowed to head home.

"Iroh, your grandparents, your parents, Lu Ten and Medora will visit us tomorrow, be punctual.", Saira said as I found her.

"What? Why? I wasn't told anything."

"It's because I invited them. I thought you would like to spend time with your family."

"Isn't it too exhausting for you?"

"No, it's not. I like having guests."

I smiled, wrapping my arm around her waist and guided her to the boat, that would bring us back to the harbour.
When we reached, Saira gave her farewells to her new acquaintances and took Urmi's hand, so we would drive her home, since she didn't have car and it was dark.

"And when do you two plan to marry?"

"It's still too early to think about that. We both have our careers. Iroh at the United Forces and I at the council. How about you?"

"Next year. You two can attend it if you want. You are invited. I just have to send you the card."

"You are engaged?"

"Yes, I am Iroh. But since we didn't talk for years, I thought you don't want to know anything about it."

I was quiet now during the whole ride. It was true, that I stopped seeing her but that didn't mean that I didn't care. She was a good friend of mine and I was happy to hear that she got engaged. The reason, I stopped having contact with her, was that we both had made a mistake. Our relationship was not more than a siblings boundary that I shared with Haku too. It was my mistake that I let this friendship become more. I shouldn't have given Urmi the opportunity to make more of it. I didn't want to destroy this friendship between us, that's why I broke up with her. But it seemed like it happened. Urmi didn't seem angry with me, she was rather happy. Soon we reached Urmi's place and both ladies got off the car. Saira hugged Urmi and I shook her hand.

"For the lords sake, could you two please hug each other? You haven't talked to each other for years!", Saira said impatient and pushed us together. That moment was awkward because if I had an other girlfriend, she would have killed me for hugging my ex. But Saira forced me to. Before Urmi stepped inside her home, Saira invited her for dinner tomorrow. Urmi accepted the invitation and Saira and I turned around to leave. As I put my hand on her waist, she was freezing.

"You are cold."

"I'm fine."

I chuckled and shook my head, took off my jacket and put it around her shoulders. It looked quite funny because Saira had a tender physique and the jacket looked too large on her. I led her to the car and helped her in, before I sat in.
The motor got started and the night was calm. Although there were barely cars, Saira still asked me to stop at every traffic light and to wait for green. We were now on the main road and I was waiting for the traffic light to become green. Saira put her hand on my leg and laid her head my shoulder. I could tell she was tired. The light finally symbolized that I was allowed to drive and all of a sudden, Saira began to scream. Before I could even understand what happened, we were already hit. The car rotated and I held Saira's hand to make sure she was okay. The car stopped back on it's wheels and it was completely calm. The lights of our car went off and I could see the other car, that crashed us as well. Saira didn't look good, she was pale and had a cut on her forehead.