Chapter One - Ronan's POV

Ronan Lynch had so many secrets one would find it almost impossible to believe that he never lied. But omitting truths, even from himself, was still lying. And his biggest secret involved one Adam Parrish.

Ronan had known Adam for about two years through their mutual friend Gansey. But he remembered asking Gansey why he would want to be friends with someone like Adam. Someone who was so obviously not like them. Adam was so different from him and Gansey and Ronan just didn't get why he would want to hang out with Adam. Every time Ronan asked, Gansey just smiled and said, "We're not that different after all." So Ronan left him alone about it after awhile. 

But that was a long time ago. Now Ronan knew what was so special about Adam, but he couldn't let anyone know how he felt. So when Joseph Kavinsky figured out one of Ronan's secrets, Ronan couldn't let him figure out any more. Because it's true that once upon a time, Ronan was fascinated with Kavinsky. Kavinsky was the most insane, most amazing person that Ronan knew and Ronan idolized him, until one day, Gansey showed up to Monmouth Manufacturing with golden boy Adam Parrish. 

Ronan lay on his mattress, sheets disheveled, trying not to fall asleep. He knew what he would dream of and it wouldn't be good if he accidentally brought something back. Long fingers pressed to his lips, fair hair brushing against his shaved head. Ronan sat up and rubbed his eyes. He knew that he couldn't fall asleep and dream because he wouldn't be able to help bringing something back. He moved his pillow and grabbed the things under it. A letter and a locket. Unspeakable things he pulled from unspeakable dreams. 

Ronan, being the self-hating bastard he was, read the letter once again and opened the locket. Inside was a picture of a fair-haired boy kissing the cheek of a shaved-headed boy. On the other side was a picture of a small child with long dark hair and pale skin with elegant features. A dream inside of a dream. He closed the locket and brushed tears away from his eyes. Ronan Lynch didn't cry. Ronan Lynch didn't feel, and he most certainly did not let fair-haired boys dictate whether he was okay or not. 

There was a small knock at Ronan's door, then it opened. Ronan hastened  to shove his dreamt treasures back under his pillow. "Parrish, what the hell are you doing?" Adam slowly entered Ronan's room. 

"I couldn't sleep. Sorry. I kind of hoped you were asleep." Adam turned to go. 

Ronan scooted over on his bed. "Wait. You can stay, Adam." Adam turned back to him. 

"T-thanks." He walked to Ronan's bed and climbed in and sat cross-legged facing toward the dark boy. It had been a rough night for Adam, a dream that ended more like a nightmare. 

"So why were you coming in here if you thought I would be asleep?" Ronan asked Adam and turned his body towards the fair-haired boy. 

"I had a nightmare. I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Adam shrugged. 

"Well I'm fine, Parrish." Ronan snapped. He turned back away from him. "I let you watch me dream one time, and now look at you, all  concerned about my safety. You're worse than Gansey was." Once, Ronan brought back the worst part of his nightmares and for the longest time Gansey thought he was suicidal. 

"No need to be such a dick. And besides, friends usually do worry about the well-being of their friends. It's what friends are for." Adam got up and walked to Ronan's door. "You know what, forget I said anything. Go ahead, dream. Get yourself killed. See if I care." Adam closed the door with as much force as 2:28 in the morning called for so he wouldn't wake Gansey.