Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 2

Nick and I both stood frozen in place, just gaping at the doors and trying to comprehend what we were hearing. As jarring as the scream was, the way it abruptly cut off was worse. One second we were listening to a sound filled with such terror that, even muffled, my entire being felt it and the next, nothing. You could have heard a pin drop the air in the elevator went so still.

"What was that?" I broke the silence, unable to take it for a moment longer.

"I don't-" Paul started again, but was again cut off by another muffled scream.

This time, Nick and I jumped away from the doors as though they might have bitten us. We all stared silently at the doors and listened. It seemed with every passing minute a new scream or yell was added to the chorus coming from the other side.

It could have been minutes or an hour, but eventually, the sounds became too much for me. I didn't know what it was exactly that I was hearing, but it sounded like people were in agony.

Are people being attacked? Is it a terrorist attack?

Frankly, at that moment I didn't care about the reasons behind the screams anymore. I just wanted them to stop. I covered my ears with my hands and backed away from the doors, moving to stand beside where Paul was sitting.

With my ears covered, I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to imagine I was anywhere else. I pictured my mom and I laughing as we watched yet another cheesy romance on TV. I pictured my sister on her wedding day smiling brightly at me as we laughed and danced together at her reception. My mind flooded with happy memories as I tried to block out my reality.

Eventually, I sank to the floor next to Paul and dared a glance in his direction. All the color had drained out of his face and his gaze was still fixed on the doors. He continued holding onto Diana's hands, but it now looked to be more like a death grip than a comforting embrace.

Diana was as pale as Paul, if not more so. I couldn't even tell if she was breathing she was so still. It looked as if her claustrophobia had taken a backseat to whatever was happening now. Even Nick seemed shaken. He stood stiff as a board, seemingly unable to make a move in any direction. With the horror still going on, it surprised me that it was Diana who broke the shocked silence that had taken over us.

"What's going on?" she asked breathlessly. "Should we help them?"

Diana's question seemed to shake Nick out of the stupor he'd been in. He turned to look at her as if she'd grown three heads.

"What? Are you crazy? Whatever's happening out there, there is nothing we can do for them." He leaned back against the elevator wall and slid down into a sitting position. With his elbows resting on his knees, he put his head in his hands.

After a few tense minutes, Nick let out a sigh and lifted his head. His eyes were filled with frustration as he glowered at the three of us.

"If we go out there, we'll die."

"Now wait a second," Paul interjected.

"Die?" I asked, effectively cutting Paul off. It did sound like terrible things were happening, but that seemed extreme.

Are people really dying?

"Yes, die. Those sounds, those aren't sounds made by people watching a horror flick. Something is happening and people are dying. That sound out there is death," Nick declared, giving me a harsh look.

I was inclined to believe him at that moment. I'd never heard anything like it before and I hoped I never would again. It was too horrific. I crossed my arms around my body and held myself, trying to keep it together.

"I don't hear guns." Diana's voice cracked. Clearing her throat, she tried again. "If people are dying, wouldn't they be getting shot or something? I mean if this is some kind of mass shooting..."

This seemed to stump us all. If people were dying, there had to be something killing them. We didn't hear any loud booms or pops and we couldn't smell anything besides Diana's strong perfume. I looked up at the ceiling, wondering how we were going to get out of this.

Just then, a loud thud against the top half of the elevator doors made us all jump in surprise.

Well, that at least confirms the elevator can open to the offices.

I'd been worried that the elevator had been stuck completely between floors and we'd have no way out, but the noise confirmed that we were close to the fourth floor. The thud came again. It sounded as if there was a struggle right up against the doors. Whatever was happening was happening right where the top half of our elevator was stuck.

Nick swore at the sound and immediately scooted back, placing himself next to Diana. We sat lining the back wall of the elevator, frozen and waiting for whatever might come next.

"Can..." Paul started. He took a moment before he tried again and whispered, "Can they get in here?"

None of us knew. We just sat staring at the doors, hoping there wouldn't be another thump. A part of me wondered if we were going to hell for our inaction. We were stuck, but we weren't even trying to help. I'd never thought of myself as someone who could sit by and listen to others in pain and do nothing. Then again, I'd never imagined this situation.

Can I live with myself after this?

"We should text our families," I advised quietly. I was afraid to speak above a whisper in case whoever had been making sounds was still out there. Though I doubted anyone could hear us over the continued screams.

The others nodded in agreement and proceeded to pull out their phones, with the exception of Paul, who blanched when he realized his wasn't on him.

"I'll let you borrow mine when I'm done," Diana whispered to him. He gave her a small smile in thanks.

True love, right there.

I pulled out my phone and created a group text to my mom and sister. For the first time in a while, I was glad I only had a few people to worry about.

Something's happened. I'm trapped in an elevator with my co-workers and it sounds like something bad is going on outside. We tried calling the police and it didn't work, so hopefully that means they know what's going on. I will call each of you as soon as I get out of this. I love you both.

Reading it over, I knew it sounded like a goodbye. As much as I didn't want to worry them, I didn't know if this was something I'd get out of.

"Now what?" Diana asked as she passed her phone to Paul.

Nick crossed his arms and gave the three of us a stern look.

"Now, we wait."