HISTORY BOOKS AND STRAWBERRY MILKSHAKES

THE DEAL
one | ❝Trust me, bitch. I would.❞

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

"Hey, Popsicle," Carl smirked as he greeted Poppy in the library. He was there for detention, she was there to study.

"I've easily told you more than a hundred times not to call me that," she sighed as she flipped through the history book, jotting down a couple notes. She had a test in a couple days, and she had to pass.

"Right. So, what do you say you ditch the library and you accompany me to go get a burger? I'm starving," Carl suggested with a smile as he sat on the table, only to be told to get off by the old librarian.

With an eye roll, he hopped off and turned back to Poppy with a questioning look.

"You have detention, Carl. If you leave early you'll just get in more trouble. Plus, I have to study," she told him.

Carl let out a loud groan. "But you're always freaking studying!"

"Sh!" The librarian hissed at him.

"Yeah, yeah," he muttered, dismissing her and looking back to Poppy, "what do you say?"

"I told you. No," she chuckled, shaking her head, "just go with Dominique."

"I already asked her. Said she was busy with her dad, or something," Carl sighed.

"Then go with Debbie, or just meet Fiona there, I mean, she works there, after all," Poppy just wanted to concentrate and Carl made that very hard, he was so annoying.

"C'mon, Popsicle, let's go."

"No," she repeated.

Carl rolled his eyes and fixed his jacket. "Fine, you wanna do this the hard way, alright."

"What're you talking ab- CARL!"

Before Poppy could finish her question, Carl had grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the library, lightning fast.

"My history book!"

"You can just get another one!" Carl laughed as he dragged her along. "At least you had your backpack on."

"You're an ass," she sighed as she took her hand from his and started walking next to him.

"You could've easily agreed, Popsicle, but, you're really fucking stubborn."

"I'm telling Fiona on you."

He turned to her, eyes wide.

"You wouldn't."

"Trust me, bitch. I would."

"You won't if I get there before you do," with that, Carl took off running.

"You're such a cheater!" Poppy groaned before she took off in a sprint after her friend.

She was fast, but not as fast as Carl, seeing as he had previously spent time running from the cops.

"That was a dick move, Gallagher."

"It got you to come, didn't it, Maddox?"

She rolled her eyes as she sat down in one of the booths.

Carl joined her, sitting in front of her.

"Hey, guys," Fiona told them with a smile as she walked over, note pad in hand.

"Hey, Fi," Poppy smiled politely. She always loved Fiona, she thought she was incredibly nice and beautiful.

"What can I get ya guys?"

"Just some fries for me, please," Poppy said.

"I'll have a burger," Carl told his sister, "oh, and a milkshake."

Poppy gasped a little at the mention of the sugary drink.

"You want one too, Poppy?" Fiona asked.

Poppy hesitated before shaking her head. "Nah, I won't finish it. I'm fine with the fries."

"Wait, if you want a milkshake just get one," Carl shrugged.

"No, I won't finish it and I'll feel bad if i throw it away."

"Fine, then we'll just share mine. What flavor do you want it?"

She looked at him for a moment and then turned to Fiona, who had a smile playing on her lips. She loved how Poppy brought the gentleman out in her brother. Not even Dominique did that.

"Strawberry," Poppy said, after debating the choice for a second.

"Alright. Strawberry, then," Carl told his sister, who nodded before going to the kitchen with the order.

"My parents are going to kill me if I don't ace the test, Carl. I'm blaming you if I don't."

"I've never met your parents, but they sound like assholes."

She threw a scrunched up napkin at him.

"Carl!"

"What? It's true! Popsicle, you take advanced everything. Even advanced freaking cooking class! What does that even mean?!"

"There aren't any cooking classes at our school, dumbass," Poppy laughed and smiled once she saw their food coming.

"I've got a burger, an order of fries, and one strawberry milkshake," Fiona said as she placed the plates down.

"Thank you," they both said.

Fiona placed the milkshake between the two along with two straws before leaving.

"Have you finished watching The Walking Dead?" Carl asked, taking one of Poppy's fries.

"You know I don't like those type of shows," Poppy shook her head as Carl took a bite of his burger before handing it to her.

She took a bite of it as well.

"Here," she handed it back to him before she grabbed her straw and opened it, putting it in the milkshake.

"It's a great show, Popsicle! You have to finish watching it."

"I haven't even started," she chuckled, taking a sip of the pink liquid.

Carl's jaw dropped, showing the chewed up burger in his mouth.

"Ew! Carl, close your mouth!" Poppy exclaimed, reaching over and pushing his chin up.

"You haven't even started watching it?!" He asked once he finished chewing.

"I watched like the first twenty minutes and I was terrified! The zombies look so real and gross and scary."

"You're coming over and we're watching the whole thing."

"Alright. But, not until this weekend. I have a lot of studying to do," Poppy sighed lightly.

Carl rolled his eyes yet again. "Do you know how boring shit is without you? The other day, Debbie made me go out to some dumb party, the one I told you to go to and you texted me last minute saying you had to go to your piano lessons, and that shit was so boring- the most entertaining thing was Debbie getting so drunk, she puked."

Poppy grimaced and shook her head. "You're unbelievable, Gallagher."

Carl smiled as he grabbed another one of her fries.

"So, do you think lobsters are mermaids to scorpions?"