Chapter 9

It was Tuesday and Mara got to go to school at least for a half day before she had to head to the doctors. She was very excited but also nervous at what he classmates were going to say. Especially Victoria. 

Mara woke up in a start breathing heavy. Ethan came running. 

"What's wrong" he said sitting on the edge of the bed and combing over her shaved head with his hand.

"Nothing just a dream" she said laying back down.

"You sure?" 

"Ya"

"Well I have a gift for you"

Mara smiled.

Ethan pulled out his hat.

"For you" he said.

Mara grabbed it happily.

"But its your hat. Your lucky hat"

"Well its your's now."

"Thank you" she said smiling and hugging him. He hugged back.

"Now get ready for school" 

"I don't get any slack about that do I?"

"No" said Ethan with a smile.

Mara got ready for school and meant Danny outside after breakfast. Her mother tried to insist that she would drive Mara and Danny. But Mara wanted to walk with Danny to school like she always did. Once they arrived at school. Mara stood outside for a minute. Not sure if she was ready to face it yet. But she took a deep breathe and followed Danny inside. They headed to homeroom. When Mara walked in every stood and smiled. Her desk was decorated with flowers and nice notes that everyone in the class wrote. Mara got a big smiled on her face and looked over to Danny.

"It was all Victoria's idea" said Danny whispering in her ear. 

Mara gave Danny a confused look. He just smiled.

"Welcome back Mara" said her teacher. 

Mara went to take her seat. Victoria came up to her.

"Hey I'm really sorry about the whole soccer thing. And everything else" she said.

"Thanks" said Mara.

Victoria smiled and walked away. Mara looked over at Danny with a surprised look. Danny giggled. 

Mara daydreamed a little throughout the morning. By the time it was for her to leave. She was exhausted and could barely walk. She was walking to the principles office when she ran into Jack.

"How was your day?"

"Great, really great" Mara was telling the truth, but Jack could tell she was really tired.

"Need some help to the office?"

"Yes please" said Mara with a smile.

Jack helped her to the office. 

At the hospital Mara was getting a blood transfusion. Shawn had come into to see her as it was going on. Jessica had gone out to talk to the doctor. 

"Hows it going sweet pea" he said coming and kissing her forehead. 

"Shawn can I ask you something?" 

"Sure" he said sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Do you believe in guardian angels?"

"Yes of course I do"

"I had a dream about Micah last night" 

Shawn stopped a minute and looked Mara in the eyes with sorrow. 

"It was a good dream" said Mara, "It was like I was really talking to him. He told me everything was going to be okay. That he'd be here for more. Just like he always has been. You think it was really him? I mean his angel?"

"Yes I do believe it was him. Sounds like him to me" said Shawn with a smile.

Mara smiled. Shawn hugged her. She rested her head on his chest and he just held her there for awhile.

"I don't want to be sad through all of this. I want to do what everyone else does, at least the best I can. I want to have fun and I do not want this to stop me.  Just like Micah did "

"With an attitude like that you will get through this. Micah would be so proud of you." said Shawn wrapping his arms tighter around her and kissing her forehead.

So who is Micah? Micah was Mara's twin brother who died when they were 7 years old. He was born with a serious heart defect and after many surgeries, he died waiting for a heart transplant. Micah, Mara and Danny were best friends. If it wasn't for Danny Mara wouldn't know what to do. Together they got through the loss of Micah. He had the best attitude and never let his disease stop him from doing anything. Mara was determined to not let her's stop her either.