Chapter 37

Hey guys! 

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 37

       8 years ago.

       "Time to go Rosalyn."

       The grip on the trash bag almost twice the size of me tightened as Mr. Duncan nudged me towards his car. The cute little two story house that held some of the ugliest people I had ever met faded behind us as we walked down the drive.

       "W-what about Jax?" A pair of dark eyes blinked down at me through an even darker pair of sunglasses. He rubbed his palm against his clenched jaw.

       "It's hard enough keeping siblings together, you know that."

       "But he came last time!"

       "Enough Rosalyn! We are not going through this every time. Get in the car." He stood tall and scary next to the open door of his shiny silver car.

       I pushed the tears back and crammed myself and my garbage bag into the backseat. I didn't need to feel upset. Jax said he was coming, that he would never let me go alone. And he hasn't broken that promise yet.

       "What went wrong this time?" Mr. Duncan finally asked as he pulled the car away from the horrible house.

       "I'm sure they told you." I mumbled around the stuffed animal squished to my chest. Jax gave it to me for my birthday, even though I had no idea how he got it. He would always tell me not to worry about it. Jax didn't always do the best things, but he never got caught. I always thought that was the important part.

       I could feel Mr. Duncan's eyes staring at me through the rearview mirror, but I just kept mine pointed toward the window. "But I always ask for your side too." I clutched the bear tighter to my chest and didn't say anything. It's not like he would believe me.

       He never did.

       He sighed and dropped his eyes back to the road. "If you don't tell me what keeps setting you off Rose, we'll never be able to find you a proper home."

       "I don't want a proper home. I want Jax!"

      "I said enough about that." The sneer he sent me was enough to have me zipping my mouth shut fast. "Ugh." He groaned a moment later and pushed his glasses up enough to run a hand over his face. "I know it's hard, but you're only making it harder by acting up."

       "She pushed me first." I mumbled against the toy animal, the trash bag next to me crumbling with each bump in the road.

       "You pushed her down the stairs."

       "No, I pushed her back. She just happened to be right in front of the stairs."

       "Good God, child-"

       "It's not like she broke anything. She's fine." I grumbled over his visible irritation.

       "That's not the point. You are nine years old. You don't need to be written off as dangerous in your file, kid. No one will want you." His grip was tight on the steering wheel, but nowhere near as tight as the pain that gripped my chest.

       "I know."

-&-

       9 years ago