Chapter 2

A-I-M-E-E R-A-I-N-E-C-O-U-R-T

Aimee Rainecourt.

I wrote my name on a piece of paper which comprise other zealous girls who want to succeed in achieving the crown and the title of being the prince's bride and queen. It was such a long line behind me. Fifty or so girls are waiting for their turn to write their names. I was the seventh girl in line when the King's envoy announced that overseers who came with him are here to oversee the registration. I just hasten toward the bunch of overseers and took my line silently behind a tall, brunette, noble girl. Her dress and adornments says so.

I didn't even ask consent from my parents. Nor did I even pose input from Asher who was just beside me. He knows everything about him. I told Asher when we were about fourteen. He was asking me about Beloveds that I incautiously blurted it out to him that I have found mine years ago.

I just bolted. Without reluctance.

Before I wrote my name on the sheet of paper in front of me, pen in hand, I was shaking and nervous as hell. I urged my left hand to write. One letter to another until I spelled out my entire name and signing my signature beside it. After that, I exhaled the breath that I was suppressing. Solace filled me.

The lady in front of me gave me a piece of scroll. Saying that it contains the information I needed for this trial. She said I was supposed to read it for it will give me instructions to be specifically followed. Clutching the smooth scroll carefully in both of my hands like my life depends on it, and I think it did though. My life with my beloved. I turned around and left the line of seemingly impatient girls. Their murmurs are just so loud that it increase my worries.

Still, I am scared of them. Scared to lose to them. Scared that if I lose to those girls I will not have another opportunity to meet him. I went home with the lingering fear inside me.

I was sprawled on my bed thinking. I have read the contents of the scroll. It was thrown on the floor across the room because I was feeling hopeless. There is no way I can even qualify to enter this screening or trial or whatever this is that the King had programed. By just looking at the first instruction, all my hope has bygone. Why? Because the scroll says;

"1. You need a formal dress and a ball gown. A couple or so is advised for you will have to change a couple of times."

I don't even have a formal dress. And a ball gown? Kill me. Those things are so costly. We can't afford to buy one. Well maybe if we could manage to sell this house handsomely. But that is out of my options, I don't have any other. I'm done for at this rate.

I sunk further into my mattress drowning myself in my world of misery. I was thinking of all the possibilities that could happen if we meet once again. Asking myself on how I would likely to react, how would he react? Then again, it's been ten years since I have laid eyes on him. I don't even know what he looks like now. Some tittle-tattle or speculations from passing court ladies says that he is breathtakingly gorgeous. They said that he's the type of man any woman would dream of. Even those ladies who are wed or have already found their beloved says so.

Everything went back to reality when Asher burst into the room. "Aimee Elizabeth Rainecourt where on earth have you been? I've been searching all over the place for you!" Asher was mad, I assure that. Whenever he is upset or I have done something wrong that he doesn't approve, he would always use my full name. He marched towards my bed then looked down on me. His eye brows are furrowed together, lips thin as a line, and arms crossed on his chest with stiff body posture. Yep, he's mad alright. But as he saw the state I'm in, his face and stature softened.