The Fell Wind

Traveling the Tundra was a risky venture at this time of the turn, almost as brutal as traveling it during the winter

Traveling the Tundra was a risky venture at this time of the turn, almost as brutal as traveling it during the winter. Most Elves from the three Vales usually only visited the Northern Vale in the spring and summer months, unless they had a most urgent need. If they did have to make the journey north during the cold months they traveled by way of the Snow Forest south of the Tundra. By that route firewood and game were plentiful all turn long. A journey through the Tundra in the autumn months was somewhat easier than in winter. The snow was not yet piled as deep, nor were the rivers and streams fully frozen over. The dangers lay in the bone numbing cold, for it could be just as cruel in fall as it was in winter. There were also fierce autumn storms that moved down fast from the north. These could catch travelers unawares on the snowy plain with no shelter to be had.

The two Elves rode from sunup to sundown trying to make as much distance as they could as the days grew shorter. They made few stops on their strong and hardy golden mounts. The horses were able to withstand the cold as their coats grew shaggy with the onset of winter. Master Gilriss had loaded their pack horse with bags of grain and oats to feed them which helped to keep their strength up.

They also fed the horses the frozen heath and lichen they would dig out from under the snow. Not only did they use it as food for the horses but they were able to burn it during the cold nights. They would dig up armfuls of the freeze dried shrub, pile it high and surround it with rocks. Then Glynfiel would give it a small blast of White Magic with her staff setting it ablaze. Once the rocks became too hot to hold they would dump them in their bedrolls to help stay warm through the night. It was only on the coldest and windiest of nights they did this. The wolves most times would curl up beside the two, when not hunting or on watch, and keep them warm much better than any stones could.

The Tundra Wolves proved to be worth their weight in gold as travel companions on the cold Tundra, as if the wolves would have a care for that sort of thing. It did not take long for them to adopt the Elves and horses as part of their pack. During the day one of the wolves would stay with the Elves as they followed the tracks of the others who were running far ahead and out of sight. Those who ran ahead would usually split up with one half scouting for the best trail through the snowy plain while the others patrolled for danger and hunted for game. Many times on the trail the barks and howls of Grim Wolves could be heard off in the distance. With the small pack of Tundra Wolves around never once did a pack of the black wolves venture close.

The Saddlebacks were excellent hunters out on the Tundra and would always bring their kills back to the Elves. They would carry back grouse, plump from summer feeding, large snow hares and mountain goat from the rocky foothills of the Grimfangs. The most favorite thing, and a pure delight for the Elves, were the large brown trout the wolves caught in the streams and rivers they crossed. They would always stop early on those days and build a fire with a nice bed of coals to bake the fish in. The wolves would even partake and enjoyed the hot food the Elves would make on those cold nights.