Chapter 16

KAYLE

My eyes widened in shock as my heart beats fastens.

I stepped backwards, giving us enough space.

"You can't..."

"I know. And I tried not to," his eyes are full of worry and pain.

I closed my eyed as my lips turned into a thin line.

When I looked at him, his expressions were so soft.

"Don't love me," I said firmly.

"But why Kayle?" he sounded urgent.

"No! You can't and you never can't," I said. "You lost your memory, Cal. You cannot love someone you've forgotten about."

"I don't see that as an excuse for love," he said, his eyes almost pleading.

I massaged my forehead in frustration. "You don't really understand, do you?"

"Make me understand."

I turned my back on him and walked towards the railings, facing the vast area before us.

"Hindi mo kayang mahalin ang isang taong nakalimutan mo na, literally."

Naramdaman kong lumapit siya sa akin.

"The mind forgets, but the heart never will and never can."

I shifted my gaze on him. "What do you mean?"

He looked at me.

"I don't know if I've already fallen for you even before fate twisted us up. I don't know if I was only stopping myself back then because you're my bestfriend. And I don't know if I'm confessing this now infront of you because this is the only chance I had, the only time I am free to say I'm falling for the girl in front of me, for my bestfriend," he said, every word made my heart beat even faster.

"I don't want you to fall for me. I'm staying because I wanted you to remember me, and I want my bestfriend back," I said, emphasizing every word I utter.

He remained silent.

I crossed my arms and turned to the view. "I told Crystal back then, we cannot stay on the same ground forever watching the person we're standing for slowly walking away. It's true. But it's a matter of choice," I said and locked my eyes on him. "The choice is up to us, whether the person is worth the sacrifice or not."

"Kayle. I'm sorry," he said.

I didn't mind him. "And you're worth the sacrifice, Cal. Our friendship is worth the sacrifice of staying while I watch you walking away from us, from everything, from me," I said, and a tear escaped from my eyes.

"Can you not be selfish? Didn't I do enough? What more can I give? Can you at least, in return, help me bring my bestfriend back instead of falling inlove with me?" I said, my eyes straight into his.

He sighed as he brushed his hair and bit his lower lip, his eyes full of frustration.

I never should've let him feel this.

"I'm sorry, Kayle," he said, his voice lower than usual.

"I don't want you to fall for me. Don't fall for me."

He stared at me for a moment like he's remembering every part of my face.

He closed his eyes and held his hair.

He then opened it and looked at me with a different expression, he looked more mature than ever as he walked towards me.

When we were inches apart, he tucked my hair and slowly said...