The Rabbit's Resolve

"Von allen Menschen, fallen für sie hatte Sie, huh Herz-Mädchen zu sein." -Momiji Sohma

Hatsuharu leaned back in his chair and sighed deeply. Gray eyes flickering dimly in the setting suns light as shadows danced across his face.

Momiji watched the different expression cross in half observation, the other half was focused on how Hinata would fair in the days to come.

Her first memory to return was Hatsuharu surprisingly.

Momiji frowned and bitterly wondered why it hadn't been him or Megumi. Unconsciously, he found himself glaring at the taller boy. Seeing his raised eyebrow and realizing what he was doing, Momiji blushed in embarrassment.

"Why haven't you told anyone else?" Hatsuharu finally spoke.

"Because they would crowd her, probably spike her memories in a fatal way." Momiji said defensively.

"That still," Hatsuharu shook his head, "doesn't make this right. You were close, close as Tohru and Kyo maybe closer, but that doesn't mean no one else cared about her."

"I'm just thinking about what's best for her." Momiji turned his head away and looked out the window as the setting sun colored the world in reds, pinks, and purples.

Hatsuharu studied him for a moment.

"You know you've changed a lot in all of these years." He said quietly.

Momiji didn't turn to look at him, "Everyone changes with time."

"Do you remember before you met Hinata and Tohru?" Hatsuharu continued on undisturbed.

"Don't want too." Momiji said, corners uplifted.

"You were such a faker back then." Hatsuharu smirked.

"Faker?" Momiji turned around and gave him a playful glare. "I do everything 100% sincere."

"Yeah right." He rolled his gray eyes.

"One day you came back looking weirdly happy," Momiji interrupted with a grumbled, 'I'm always happy. "When I asked you, all you said was that you met a girl."

Momiji remembered that, it was 4 years ago under a big tree that became their, Megumi, Hinata, and his, usual hangout later on.

He had been watching the children play wistfully. Wanting to join in but held back in fear of a girl hugging him on accident.

He heaved a sigh and watched for a couple minutes more when he heard a squeak.

Perking up at the sound of a rabbit he walked over to a towering tree and looked at the side to see a girl eyeing him curiously as the rabbit curled onto her lap.

"Hi! what are you doing here?" He had asked with a facade of cheerfulness.

She merely blinked up at him in surprise.

"So why aren't you joining them?" Momiji tried again, this time he got an answer.

"I-I c-can't." She blushed.

"Eh? Why not? Shouldn't you have fun?" Momiji asked curiously.

"I have a really weak heart. I can't run without getting an attack."

Momiji couldn't help but think, she's like me, before shaking his head. No she wasn't. That was just wistful thinking again.

The time passed quickly with her, filled with red cheeks, laughter, and a new feeling he was starting to like, hope.