34

The next day, Mom was ecstatic. She was completely hung up on her bachelorette party-she was on the phone for hours, checking up with everyone who was flying in to meet her, and setting the plans for all of Daniel's friends as well, so I ate breakfast listening to her guest after guest, wishing that Luke was awake so that I'd have someone to talk to.

"I can't wait to see you, Kat," she crooned as she took a long sip of her blended protein smoothie, "I've already got five of us on the list, and Tori is here..."

She paused to wink at me, and I heard the person on the other end say something excitedly, to which she replied,

"Oh, yeah! She flew down a few nights ago-her and her boyfriend. Of course she has one! And he's completely adorable."

I shook my head, trying to ignore the irregular pounding in the depths of my chest.

"Alrighty then, hon, I'll letcha go. I'll see you tonight!"

She made a kissing noise into the receiver and hung up, sipping the shake and smiling at me.

"It's going to be so much fun," she told me. "I can't wait! We're going to go shopping in the square, and then we'll meet up with the guys out on the beach and have a joint-party. Doesn't that sound fun?"

"Yeah," I said, as enthusiastically as I could. "It really does."

But I couldn't help but think of Luke, and about how he would have to tag along with Daniel and his friends-all of whom were complete strangers-and pretend to have fun.

He'll be fine, I assured myself. It can't be that bad.

As if on cue, there was a light padding down the stairs, and I turned in my seat to face Luke Callaway himself, whose T-shirt clung to his freshly-showered skin, his hair still damp. I smiled at him, and he returned the gesture, crossing over to me and planting a light kiss against my temple. I felt a shiver go through me; I wasn't used to that.

He took a seat beside me as if it were nothing more than a step in his morning routine, grinning at my mom.

"Good morning," he said, and she practically melted, sending me glance that clearly said, how did you manage to get someone like him?

I felt my heart swell and my cheeks warm, covering it with a quick sip of the water that my mother placed before me.

"Morning," she replied to Luke. "Are you two hungry?"

"I'm good," I said, and Luke shook his head in answer.

"I was just planning on having some coffee." He said.

Mom nodded, reaching over the counter to fill up an empty mug with it, and he took a grateful sip.

"So," she said, once he'd swallowed, "You'll be joining Daniel and his friends sailboating."

"Really?" He asked, sounding interested, but I couldn't tell if it was genuine or not. I snuck a glance at him, but he was practically unreadable.

"Yeah," she said, clapping her hands together with a smile. "Do you know how?"

"Of course," Luke responded, and I flicked up my eyebrows in surprise. "My dad used to take us all the time. I surf, too."

Oh. I'd forgotten about that.

"No," Mom breathed, as if it were too good to be true. "They were planning on trying that out, too! Would you mind teaching them?"

"Not at all," he replied, smiling. "I haven't done it in so long; it'll be good to practice again."