Chapter Twenty-Six

Effie didn't know how to feel. She tried to open her eyes, but all she could see was black. She reached her hand out and felt nothing. Sitting up, the darkness left and light came to her vision. 

She screamed when she noticed her surroundings. Her head was up above the ground, but the rest of her body was nowhere to be found. She slowly brought her hands up and watched with awe as they appeared above the soil. She placed them in front of her a pushed against the soil. She watched as her hands turn solid and her feeling returned. She pushed the rest of her body out of the soil. 

Placing her feet on the ground, she stood up and looked around her. She was now standing on a new dug grave. Beside them were the many graves that she had dug up.

Am I dead? she thought to herself.

She expected an answer to come from behind her, but none came. Instead, she started to walk towards the building. When she placed her hand on the doorknob, it fell through. Startled, she pulled her hand back and looked at it. 

She had to be dead. If she wasn't, how would she be able to go through things? 

Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and walked through the door. She walked up the stairs and into her room. Miss Murphey was in the middle of the room with her hands on her hips and looking satisfied. She turned around to face Effie, but it looked like she didn't even see her. She walked right through her and out the door. 

Effie watched with amazement at what had just happened. She never saw her! Suddenly, Effie got a great idea. She walked around thinking about what she was about to do, but something caught her eye. She walked over to the door where she thought she saw something move. 

Walking through it, she found Patricia standing there waiting for her. 

"What do you want?" Effie asked rudely with her arms crossed. 

Patricia shook her head. She looked sad and almost regretful. Effie narrowed her eyes at her. "I'm sorry, Effie. I know what I had said before about wanting you to feel the pain that I had felt, but now I regret what I told you. I didn't want you to die. I didn't mean for this to happen."

"Well," Effie started. "It did. I'm dead and my parents won't ever know about it because they don't tell the families of the dead people. I know because I was the one who buried them. Not their families."

"I know." Patricia nodded.

Effie shook her head. "You don't know!"

Patricia glared at her. "I do know! Remember, I died here too! I went through the same pain you did!"

"Why didn't you warn me?"

"I tried!" Patricia countered. "But you wouldn't listen to me! Every time you would shut me out!"

Effie looked down at her feet. She remembered doing that, but she was mad every time Patricia would come to speak with her. She didn't know how else to react. 

"Well," Patricia started while crossing her arms. "What are you going to do now? Are you going to sulk for forever or are you going to take revenge to the people who hurt you?"

Effie bit her lip in thought for a moment before responding, "Take revenge."