Chapter 11

The past week was the hardest week of Mara's life. She was finally home but had no energy to do anything. But she was still determined to have fun. So she tried to hide her exhaustion so her parents would let her go to school. 

It was Monday and Mara was allowed to go to school. Danny and Mara were on their way to class but the bell already rang so they were late. They passed the gym closet on their way. It was open part way.

"Danny wait" said Mara. 

Danny turned around "What's wrong?"

Mara shot him a look, "nothings wrong. I just have an idea. Something I've always wanted to do" She pulled out little scooters that you can sit on and roam around.

"No" said Danny, "Put it back"

"How fun would it be to ride down the hall on these"

"Really fun. But I don't want detention"

Mara ignored him and handed him a scooter. Danny gave her a look "Fine" But when we get in trouble I'm blaming you"  

Mara smiled and they both sat down and started to scoot around on them down the hall.

"I'll race you" said Mara.

"Ready set go" said Danny quickly

"Hey cheater!" 

They were flying down the hall on the scooters. Up ahead of them they didn't see people carrying a giant box. Which happened to be Ethan and another student.

"Mara watch out!" Danny slid under the box still on his scouter. Mara did the same. 

"Hey" yelled Ethan and the student.

"Dude wasn't that your sister" said the student. Just then Danny who was laughing and turned around watching Mara ran into a trash can and fell off his scooter. Mara ran into Danny. They both fell to the ground laughing. 

Ethan and the student put the box down. Ethan ran over to Danny and Mara. He stood above them with his hands crossed giving them both an angry glare. They just continued to laugh on the ground. Then a teacher came up to them.  They both stopped and got a serious look on their face as they saw the teacher.

"Lets go you two. Up now" demanded the teacher.

Ethan was trying not to smile at them, but he couldn't help it. Seeing Mara laugh made him so happy. Mara shot him a smile. Ethan shook his head.

Danny and Mara were taken to the principles office. They were both sitting in the office waiting for the principle. He soon came in and took a seat at his desk.

"So I heard we were having a scooter race in the halls today"

"Ya" said Danny and Mara.

"You realize that one of you could've gotten hurt or someone else could have gotten hurt"

"Yes sir" They both said.

"Nothing like this is going to happen again, is it?"

"No sir"

"Good now get to class. I don't want to see you two again for the rest of the year" 

Danny and Mara shot each other a look. But got up to leave.

"Mara hold on a second. Daniel go to class"

Mara turned around. Danny left.

"Mara I know you are going through a lot. I'm willing to let this slide. But I can't continue to give you special treatment"

"I know sir. Thank you"

He nodded "If you ever need anything. You just let me know"

Mara smiled "Thank you"

"Now get to class"

Mara left quickly.

Later that night Mara was laying on the couch barely awake. Ethan came in after his practice and sat down on the end table in front of her. Jack was doing his homework in the chair next to the couch.

"Scooter's Mara? really? You could've gotten hurt"

Jack looked up "What?"

"Nothing" said Mara to him.

"We were just having fun. Plus we didn't even get in trouble. Principle Johns just said don't let it happen again"

"Your lucky" said Ethan.

"Please tell me what happened"

"Mom and dad don't know. Can we keep it that way?"

Ethan shook his head "I guess" 

"Thanks" Mara said with a smile.

"What?!?" asked Jack loudly.

"Shhh" said Mara, "Danny and I stole scooters from the gym and rode them down the hall"

Jack laughed "Why didn't you ask me to join you"

Ethan shot him a look 

"I know you wanna have fun, but you have to be easy on your body"

"I'm just pretending everything isn't different" 

"Well it is different" 

Mara got mad "I don't care. I'm fine. I can do what I want!" She rolled over facing away from Ethan.

Ethan sighed he patted her head and got up and left.

"Nice one" said Jack. Ethan shoved him off the chair.

It was dinner and Erin came in with food for Mara. 

"Time to eat" 

Mara really didn't have a good appetite at all.

Mara sighed "Just some soup. You have to finish the whole thing."

Mara took the soup unwillingly. Erin got up and left. Mara put the soup down when she left. 

"I'll tell" said Jack 

"No you won't"

"Try me" 

"You tell and I'll tell them you failed your math test"

"Hey! How do you know that"

Mara rolled her eyes "I can see it in your backpack dummy"

Jack looked down, the test was hanging out of his bag. He glared at Mara who laughed. He shoved it back in his bag. Shawn then came in the door. Mara rolled over facing away from Jack and now Shawn.

Shawn patted her side. "No no no. You are eating"

Mara rolled back over.

"Mara we talked about this. You need to eat. I know you aren't hungry. But you have to eat. You need all the energy you can get"  He now had a the soup in his hands and spooned some out for her. She sat up and he fed it to her.  She was finished with her soup when she asked a question the whole family was dreading.

"Where's Charlie? He hasn't been around all week"

Shawn sighed "I know. He's just busy"

"Lies" 

Jack got up and left quickly he didn't want anything to do with this conversation. 

"Look he's just having a difficult time right now"

"About me being sick and probably not going to live"

"Mara you are going to get through this"

"And if I don't?"

"There's no ifs" 

"If I go. I go. I've accepted that. And this will all be a lot easier. If everyone else does too. Until that point whether it be from this or when I'm 80 years old. I'm going to live the best life I can"

Shawn smiled at her. "You amaze me" 

Mara smiled. Shawn then pulled her into a hug. She laid with her head on his chest and his arms around her. Until she fell asleep.