Chapter 6

Chapter 6

(The Green Room of the White House)

Jaxon

It was David's last day on duty. As of 5 p.m. this evening, my best friend is living a life of leisure, the lucky bastard. Chenille had arranged for my innermost staff members and the rest of my security detail to have a sort of farewell tea arranged for him in the Green Room. Some of David's favorite finger foods were prepared by the chefs and served. There was also a cake with the Presidential Seal on it.

The writing on the massive sheet cake wished him a happy retirement. Most of his fellow White House assigned agents were in attendance as well as his Director. It was a bittersweet moment for me. The girls were also there, along with David's wife Miranda and his daughter, Jessica. I was happy to see that she's gotten over her bout of illness from the previous week.

Even David's twenty-two year old son, Marc made an appearance. He'd managed to get time off to attend this little get together from his Commanding Officer, and he made the trip from the Marine Corps Air Station at Cherry Point in North Carolina. Although I was happy to see the young man, I was going to be even happier when he goes back to his base because of the way Elizabeth and he were exchanging tentative glances and shy smiles with each other. As a father, I'm not ready for my girls to start dating. I'm happy that I have huge men with guns following them around everywhere they went. Let's just say it's a big deterrent to these young jits who think they can approach my babies.

Chenille was currently chirping away in my ear about some State dinner or the other that was coming up soon. But my eyes kept straying over towards the windows where David and Mason seemed to be having a deep conversation. Earlier, I'd taken the time to have a sit down with David and gave him the go ahead to offer the permanent position of being my lead guard to Agent Carter. Despite the my attraction to the man, David was right. He was the perfect candidate for the job. He didn't let me push him around, and he has a backbone. Agent Carter just didn't go along with my wishes. If he deemed a situation was unsafe, then he's stand by his guns and outright challenges me to disagree with him.

On occasion, I have found Mason to be extremely controlling and it's annoyed me to no end. Other times it's an absolute turn on and I've found myself taking more than my fair share of cold showers lately. It was worth it though to have the piece of mind knowing the person watching my back is trustworthy. A consummate professional when it comes to my safety and the security of my children. We've managed to slowly get to know one another and Agent Carter and I have managed to move on from formalities of our titles to first names when we are in private.

Other than the day Jessica was sick, David's been with us over the past week, almost like a chaperone. I didn't have the added anxiety of trying to maintain my control around him all the time. But tomorrow was a different day. The first official David free day and even though I know it was coming, it still feels strange. I was really hoping that whatever chemistry I felt towards the stunning agent would have faded by now, especially since I've had the time to get to know the man a bit more. But unfortunately that wasn't the case. Agent Carter was not only extremely good looking and sexy as hell body. The man was also very intelligent. I also learned that we have a lot in common when it comes to our personal tastes in things such as food, music, arts, and literature.

If I'd met the man under different circumstances, I would have gone after him in a heartbeat. But it wasn't meant to be because of my position and responsibility to the people of the United States, and the ethics and oath of office I sworn to uphold during my Inauguration ceremony. The well-being of my country came before my own personal desires, and it had become clear what I was signing up for after my first term in office. Getting involved with an employee will definitely breach the code of ethics laid out for me as the leader of the country.