Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

~~~~~ Kylie - How can something so wrong feel so right? ~~~~~

Kylie had been nothing but miserable the last couple days. When they got to the detection center, they said that visiting hours were over so they could not see Alex. When Kylie had a chance to see her, Alex somehow managed to get in trouble which meant that no one could visit her, not even Mike nor Rachael or even Cassandra who was her social worker for crying out loud.

Kylie was sick of it. She was sick of feeling hopeless. She was sick of having all the love she felt for the girl and not being able to express it or even tell her. Kylie wanted nothing but to tell Alex that she was in love with her. She wanted to scream it to the world.

But no. Kylie had to keep quiet. Whether she liked it or not, she has a reputation to hold. Something like this will destroy everything she has tried so hard to maintain. This will tear everything apart. So she has to keep quiet. She has to keep this to herself. The only way to handle this is to bottle up her feelings and enclose them tightly, just like she's always done. This is nothing new to her. She's used to hiding under the happy cheerleader with the perfect life facade.

"How about Tristan? He’s one of the best baseball players in the district." Pamela said pointing at a guy sitting in a table with his friends eating his lunch. Kylie looked over at him and smiled once he saw her. She turned back to the girls and shook her head which caused the girl to groan and whine. Kylie looked at her teammates and laughed. They had been searching for the perfect guy for Kylie ever since she broke it off with Anthony. Little did they know that Kylie had already found the perfect person: Alexandria Santiago.

"Guys! How about you let me worry about my personal life, and instead just focus on the fact that we don't have a theme for the party." Kylie said frustrated. The girls nodded deciding to drop it and went straight to work. The party was in a few days and they still couldn’t decide on which theme to choose.

When lunch was over Kylie went to her last classes of the day. She sat alone wishing Alex were there with her. She closed her eyes and imagined the girls presence but then opened her eyes and noticed her absence. The realization hit her like a ton of bricks.

The bell rang indicating yet another end to a boring school day without Alex. Kylie went to her locker to get her purse and her math textbook. The locker had been fixed when the custodian saw the damaged locker and reported it. Kylie had to take her stuff out of Alex's locker and put it into her own locker. Kylie hated the idea of not sharing a locker with Alex but she did it anyway. No one found out she was sharing a locker with Alex. If the news would have gotten out, Kylie would have been on the mouths of everyone. A junior talking to a freshman, and not just a junior but the captain of the cheer-leading team, was unacceptable. This of course scared Kylie the most; the talks. She hated when her teammates gossiped, she just couldn't take it if their gossip was about her.

She closed her locker and shook her head erasing all her thoughts. Rachael was outside waiting for Kylie when she got outside. "Hey Kylie how was school?" Rachael asked trying to get a word out of Kylie. Kylie looked up and gave Rachael a half smile and answered a faint fine. She had been quiet throughout the entire ride only looking out the window or the floor. Understanding that Kylie did not wish to speak, Rachael stopped asking questions and drove in silence.

It astounded Kylie how much she actually missed the girl. She doesn't eat. She doesn't sleep well. She can't concentrate in class or in cheer practices. Her life is a mess without the girl, but why? Why does Alex mean so much if they have only met and shared nothing but days with here?

When arriving at the flower shop, Kylie left her stuff inside the car and headed for the door. Rachael quickly followed her and locked the car behind them. Kylie grabbed her apron from the hanger and put it on starting her shift releasing the previous worker. Rachael smiled at her as she put the apron up and got ready to leave.