Chapter 39: Combating with Foes

"Ugh that's it, I need a coffee."

Extra strong!

I pushed myself up from my desk and grabbed my handbag, quickly walking towards the nearest coffee shop with a one track mind. I was just out of the building door and cutting through the city park, when I heard someone call out my name.

I turned around searching for a familiar face but everyone around me seemed busily going about their day to day activities.

That's it, you're officially going nuts.

"Tell me something I don't know." I rolled my eyes and turned back around. I really didn't need another voice to join the collection already inside my head.

We should start a club.

"Holy shit." I jumped seeing Jarred standing in front of me.

"Still talking to yourself I see." He observed me and I suddenly felt a little exposed.

I put my hand over my heart to calm myself down. "What is wrong with you, you don't sneak up on people you psycho."

He frowned confused. "I called your name, I thought you saw me and was just ignoring me?"

Taking a deep breath, I answered him. "No I didn't."

"Oh well then, never mind." He slipped his hands into the pockets and rocked back on his heels. "Can I join you for a coffee?"

As long as I get to throw it in your face, you bet!

"No thanks." I side stepped him and kept walking down the park, my eyes on the coffee shop across the path.

"Please Sky." He fell into step beside me.

"How did you ever think I would agree to get a coffee with you?"

"I just want to talk Sky."

I stopped walking and faced him. "What could you possibly want to talk about Jarred?"

He held up his hands as if in a mock surrender. "I just want to talk. I swear."

I took a deep breath and started walking again. "Fine but you're paying."

"Deal."

We walked to the coffee shop in silence, stood in the short line in silence, and sat down in silence. I took another sip of my coffee feeling the hit of the caffeine rush through my blood giving me a nice little buzz. "Great chat Jarred, as always."

He cleared his throat and sat up a little straighter. "So, um," he seemed unsure of where to start. "Mum said you're engaged?"

I nodded my head slowly, watching his reactions.

"I've got to say Sky, it was a bit of a shock."

"Why? Because you can't believe someone might actually want to marry me?"

His eyes widened ever so slightly. "No, I just, well I mean wasn't it a little fast? I mean how long have you known the guy? You can't have been dating him more than two years and you are already engaged?" He spoke, counting the years since he's seen me last.

"I don't think that's any of your business."

He pushed his lips together as if to hold in his words before reaching for his cup of coffee.

"Is that all you wanted? To tell me you disapprove of the speed in which my current relationship is progressing?" I raised my eyebrows at him. I wouldn't lie, I was having a little fun annoying him.