Chapter 19

KAYLE

When things sink in, I furrowed my eyebrows.

Is he for real?

"You're asking me to be your bestfriend again?" I asked.

I looked over the students, why does it have to be like this?

He smiled. "Yes."

"In front of this crowd?"

"What's wrong?"

"What's wrong with you, Cal?"

He looked confused. "Why?"

"Do you think this will make things better? No, Cal. We're infront of everyone, when in fact we should talk about this privately."

I heard the students murmured.

"See? They just wanted the show, they really don't care about us. What happened to you? And how sure are you I was gonna say yes? What if I said no? Then you'll be humiliated! My goodness, Cal ano ba?"

I know, what he did is sweet. But sweet doesn't work on us.

"I... I'm sorry. I just wan---."

"I should go. I'm sorry Cal."

After that, I hurriedly walked away from them, from the students, from him.

***

For the whole morning class, my mind isn't present.

I kept on thinking why I told Cal those things, and how I made him feel pained infront of everyone. And I can't stop thinking why he didn't go to class since the first period.

Lunch time and Cielo went with the guys to the cafeteria and I told them I wanted to stay alone. I was about to out when I saw a pink scented paper, again, below my armchair's desk.

I picked it up and read.

I'm so sorry Kayle. Meet me at the rooftop please?

-r

I hurriedly walked towards the school's rooftop. God, I really need to talk to him.

When I reached the top, I opened the door and saw Cal sitting on the railings.

I suddenly felt nostalgia. This is the exact place where he confessed.

My stomach somersaults as he turned around and smiled at me, which didn't reach his eyes.

"Hey," he said.

I walked over and sat beside him, "Hey. I'm so sorry for what happened earlier," I said.

"No, it's okay."

Umiling ako. "Hindi. I'm really sorry and I mean it. Pinahiya kita sa harapan ng maraming tao. Sorry Cal. It's just, nabigla ako and I really think we shouldn't be talking about those things infront of that kind of crowd."

He smiled. "Okay lang. Tama ka, hindi ko dapat ginawa 'yun. If it weren't for the guys and their lame suggestions," he said, scratching the back on his head. "Don't worry about the people, I really don't  mind about them. I just want us to b---."

"And that," I cut him off. "Just, don't say anything first okay? Let me talk."

He nod.

"Last night," I begin, "I talked to Cielo, dahil pakiramdam ko hindi ko na alam kung anong gagawin ko. I felt so lost. I don't even think shutting you down yesterday was the right thing to do."