twelve; lonely one and only

i'm your one and only, only when you're lonely. i'm your one and only, only when you're lonely.

michael scarcely woke up in an empty bed these days, but it felt like he did because he never felt luke's warm arms engulfing his body when he woke up. so when the faux blond stirred and rubbed sleep from his eyes, it felt like he was alone. he glanced over his shoulder, expecting to see luke snoring beside him, but the other side of the bed was empty.

he pushed his face back into the pillow, trying to block out the slivers of sunlight peering at him from behind the curtain. did he do something wrong? why did luke not want to be anywhere near him after last night?

a whimper almost escaped michael's mouth, but he pulled it together and slowly sat up from the bed. he reached for his shirt and nike shorts that were lying on the carpet, then grasped his phone that somehow ended up on the floor. after michael was dressed, he shoved his phone inside the pocket of his shorts before slowly walking out of luke's bedroom.

some kind of indescribable feeling washed over michael as he slowly walked into the living room, spotting luke sleeping away on the couch with a blanket tossed over his lower half. maybe a mix of concern, sadness, and hurt because luke didn't want to sleep in the same bed as him last night.

michael stared at the tired blond boy, watching as he twisted and turned on the small couch in absentminded attempts to get comfortable. it kind of hurt michael's heart that luke would rather be uncomfortable on the couch than comfortable by michael's side.

"luke?" michael asked softly as he got down on his knees, the wool rug digging into the skin of his knees as he did so. he gently ran his fingers through luke's blond hair, smiling a bit to himself when a small hum left luke's mouth. the blond absentmindedly tilted his chin up to capture more of michael's touch, but then his dark blue eyes opened and he moved away from michael's hand.

"what time is it?" luke murmured sleepily as michael retracted his hand from luke's hair. the blond reached up to rub one half of his face, as if to try and rub the sleep away.

"um," michael snuck a glance at the time blinking at them from the microwave, "eleven o'clock."

"hm, we should probably start heading over to cal's place," luke commented, slowly shifting until he was sitting up on the couch with his blanket on the floor. michael leant down to pick it up and place it back on the couch before he stood back up on his feet instead of his knees, stretching his limbs out briefly before walking over to the kitchen.

"do you want waffles?" luke asked as he shuffled over to the kitchen, rubbing his eyes as michael sat down at the stool by the kitchen island counter. the faux blond shrugged before nodding, so luke got out the toaster and went over to the freezer to take out the eggo waffles.

"can i ask you something?" michael spoke up as luke put two waffles down each slit of the toaster. the blond finally turned to glance over at michael, letting out a small yawn before gesturing for michael to continue. "why did you let me sleep in your bed last night while you slept on the couch?"

luke shrugged. "honestly, i'm not sure. it was late by the time you wanted to go to sleep, and you just looked so sleepy and tired. i wanted you to have a good night's sleep, and i thought you'd get that easier if i wasn't by your side as you slept."

"i sleep better with you by my side, though," michael muttered, focusing on fidgeting with his fingers in an attempt to keep himself from overthinking the conversation he was in the midst of having with luke.