Chapter 6

I'm sitting in the dimly lit library all alone. My favorite Librarian whom I have known for four years, Mrs Curtly (A.K.A Curly) has left the keys to the library for me just as long as I lock the door when I leave, something she's technically not supposed to do, and could definitely lose her job over if anyone found out, but she's been doing this special for me for a long time since I've gained her respect and trust.

I'm studying some boring world history book when I feel myself drift off to sleep.

A quiet yawn escapes my lips as I rest my head down on my book I'll only sleep for a second I tell myself even though I know it isn't true.

Just as I'm about to drift off into dreamland, I hear a loud bang come from the back of the library. It sounds like a large stack of books falling. The sound instantly jerks me out of my sleepiness. I stand up and look around.

"Hello?" I call out as I cautiously walk towards where I think the sound came from, my heart pounding in my chest.

When I look down the aisle, there's nobody there, yet there's a good amount of books fallen onto the ground "great" I mutter sarcastically as I bend down in a squat position, picking the books back up.

"Bethany" I hear a strange voice whisper. The whisper is so quiet that I'm not even sure I heard it. I glance around the room but see nothing.

Goosebumps liter my arms as I briskly stand up and shove the books back into the shelf before walking back towards my table.

I turn the corner to where my table is but when I look at it there's a man sitting on it with a red mask and black hoodie. A scream escapes my lips but I cover my moth to stop myself.

"Oh okay, ha-ha, very funny. Whoever you are you can take off the mask now" I say uncertainly, if only to convince myself this wasn't real.

My stomach is in knots and I feel my heart thumping wildly in my chest, it felt as though it were trying to hammer right through my rib cage. But surely it was just a student right? Who else would do this?

I start walking towards the person ever so slowly, telling myself to be brave, that it's just a prank.

The person says nothing. If I hadn't just been here I'd be sure it was a statue of some kind, I couldn't even see it breathing.

When I'm inches in front of the person, suddenly he jumps up and grabs my forearm,

I let out a scream as I try to pull away from the person but the hand has an iron grip on me. It doesn't even budge when I yank as hard as I can.

"Let me go!" I scream as I kick and slap and everything else I can think to do. But the person looks as if he doesn't even feel any of it.

I look around the room for something to throw at him. My eyes land on a pencil inside a cup on the librarians desk.

I jerk as hard as I can and run forward. The hand is still on me but I'm able to move a few inches which is enough to grab the sharpened pencil.

Without hesitating, I stab the pencil into the guys hand.

He instantly pulls away and looks down at his hand, but he doesn't make a sound. As he holds his bleeding hand, I take this opportunity and make a run for the door, leaving my bag full of stuff behind. I swing the door open and run out, making a right. As I run down the hall I don't hear any footsteps but I don't slow down. I keep running until I reach the stairs door. I shove it open and glance behind me. The guy is walking down the hall towards me. Not running, walking. In this slow, freaky way, as though he was in no rush at all.