1

"I wonder what it would be like living here." Ashley says. "Like- actually living here twenty four seven and not just visiting."

I roll my eyes. "Ashley, I live here."

"Oh yeah." She replies. "But still."

I chuckle and watch as she flips through different channels on my tv.

For the past month, everyone's been talking about Famous. Either being famous or living on Famous. I don't see the big deal.

After a few minutes, Ashley turns the tv off.

I look at her confused.

"I'd rather have you tell your parents' love story again. It's a very good and rare one." She explains.

"You've heard it a hundred times, Ash."

"I don't care. Come ooon."

Giving up, I smile at her and start the story.

"My parents basically met when they arrived here on Famous as the top 5 in their section. Mom's from the Ground. Old Europe to be exact, and dad's from the Elevated, in the Old Asia. There are three sections, Elevated, Ground, and Famous, but there are only ten candidates since all the Ground are as one, meaning Old Europe and Africa, and the Elevated are as one, Old Asia, The Americas, and Antartica.

Mom's good particularly in fashion and dad is more all around. Mom graduated at the best school in Old Europe and dad was a model, star athlete and highly recognized performer. They were both chosen, came here, fell in love after training and all, became the first couple to both make into the top 5 and started a family. The end. And I don't see why there's never been another couple before or after them to both make it to the top."

Ashley's excited face has turned blank. "You always rush it every time I ask you to repeat the story." She whines.

"Of course. You ask me to repeat the story." I reply.

The door opens and mom steps in.

"Hi girls. Dinner's ready." She announces with a warm smile. "And Khira, your dad and I became a couple during training which made it unique. Others probably did become a couple after everything was done."

Ashley and I share a look.

"Your dad cooked." Mom adds.

Ashley and I need no more encouragement. We run downstairs with mom following. Among the many talents dad has, cooking is one of them.

Dad smiles as we rush to our seats. We all sit down, mom says the prayer, and we dig in.

After minutes of talking and laughing, mom and dad share the look.

Ashley and I share our look.

"Khira-" Dad begins.

"Honey, we don't have to tell her yet..." Mom says quietly.

Dad shakes his head and Ashley and I share a look knowing what this is about.

"It's better we tell her than the government." Dad replies.

Mom sighs.

"Khira, you know that the Choosing Ceremony will be this December. There's only have a few months left, which means the children of those on Famous must leave." Dad explains.

"But even if she doesn't make it to the top or anything, she can still come back right? Both of your families didn't take their opportunities here." Ashley asks.

My mom gives her a sad look.

"Oh."

I excuse myself now hearing the dreaded news.

Ashley follows and we sit in my bed staring at our hands, wondering what the next days would bring.

"I can't imagine being without you." Ashley whispers. "You're my bestest and longest friend."

"Same here." I say.

We hug and let the tears fall. I knew this would happen, but now that it's even more real, since it's confirmed, I don't want it to happen.