- 37 -

“This is unexpected,” Jamie says as she leads me to the living room. I take a seat on the couch across from her.

“Yeah. Sorry. I should’ve called or something.”

“No, no, it’s alright. I don’t mind. So what’s up?”

She knew something was wrong. I wouldn’t have just showed up on such short notice without a problem for her to deal with.

“I just broke up with Harry,” I admit. It felt strange to say out loud. It made it sound official, like this is all real. I didn’t like it.

“What? Why? I thought things were finally going to work out between you two. Did someone else find out?” she asks worriedly. I shake my head.

“No. It’s not that. I’ve been thinking about it for a few weeks. Ever since all this started with Melissa. I thought it would be best if we ended things before they got out of hand, ya know? If anyone in the system besides you found out, then I’d get taken away and would never be able to see him again. I’d rather still be friends and live with him than be shipped off to another home and not see him at all.”

“I understand where you’re coming from,” she says, pursing her lips.

“Did I make the right decision?” I ask, biting my lower lip. She’s usually good at giving advice. I can almost always trust what she tells me.

“Well, I don’t know. Does it feel like you made the right decision?” She leans back in her chair.

“Of course not. I still love him. Obviously I want to be with him. Things never should’ve ended this way, and I’m not happy it has to be like this.”

“Well there’s your answer.”

“Jamie, it’s not that simple.”

“I know, I know. There’s a bunch of complications and other people involved. But if you really care about him, which I know that you do, and you love each other then nothing else should matter.”

“That’s so cheesy,” I chuckle. She shrugs.

“It’s the truth. I personally think it was stupid of you to break up with Harry. He was the greatest thing that’s ever happened to you.”

I couldn’t even argue with her. She was completely right. I haven’t been truly happy until Harry came into my life. Ever since then I’ve just been laughing and smiling all the time. It was never like that before. I used to be miserable. And then came him.

“It’s just so hard though. It shouldn’t be this difficult for us to be together,” I point out.

“No, that’s true. But sometimes you just need to fight for the things you love. I know you love him. It’s clear. He loves you too. What you need to do is stand up, gather your strength, and fight until you get what you deserve. It’s not always easy, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth it,” she tells me. I was so conflicted.