- 38 -

“Did you move my bag?” Teresa asks demandingly as she storms into our room. I roll my eyes, removing my headphones so I could hear her better.

“I didn’t touch your stuff. You probably just misplaced it.”

“I left it right here on my bed! Now it’s gone.”

“Well I don’t know what to tell you,” I say, rolling my eyes and replacing my headphones, turning my music up louder so I wouldn’t have to listen to her bitching. I watched as her hands curled into fists and she stormed over to my bedside table, smacking her arm across my stuff and knocking all of it to the floor. My eyes widen and my jaw drops open. I remove my headphones and get up.

“You fucking bitch,” I mutter as she runs away. I chase after her, but as I turn a corner I smack right into Pat, the staff leader here at the group home. He gives me a look and I roll my eyes.

“Nicole, what did we say about violence?” he asks me as if he’s speaking to a five year old.

“She knocked my stuff over and accused me of taking her bag,” I explain.

“Use your words next time,” he tells me, walking away. God I wanted to slap him.  Instead I took a few deep breaths and headed outside.

I’ve been living here at Aidmore Children’s Home for a couple weeks. It’s sort of like summer camp, but yet completely different. There’s two floors- boys on top, girls on bottom. There’s kids of all ages, but the staff do a pretty decent job at keeping teens separated from the little ones. I live in a room with my bitchy roommate Teresa.

 This is my first time living in a group home, and I honestly hate it. There’s strict rules to be followed and every kid here has loads of emotional issues. Every day there are chores and responsibilities that we’re assigned. We must keep our bedroom doors open at all times during the day, and we can’t have visitors in our rooms. There’s mandatory group activities we have to participate in and I personally find them completely stupid. The staff are surprisingly pretty nice, but they’re everywhere. Literally every place I look there’s another adult supervising. It’s insane.

I pull out my phone and dial Jamie’s number. I talked to her shortly after I got here, but it was a brief conversation. I hadn’t really gotten the chance since then. No one was outside as I waited for her to answer. My breath was visible amidst the cool air.

“Hey,” she says once the ringing stops.

“Hey. Glad I caught you.”

“Yeah. How’s it going?”

“Terrible,” I answer truthfully. “Jamie, I don’t care what you have to do, just please get me out of here.”

“I’m sorry sweetie,” she replies sincerely. “You know I would if I could. I really wish there was a way, but I can’t find any loopholes in this case.”

“Okay,” I sigh. “It’s fine. How long though?”

“It’s hard to say. You might be there for a while.” I could tell she really felt bad. Instead of making her feel worse, I decided to switch the subject.

“Have you seen Harry?” I ask, biting my lower lip.

“Once. I stopped by to pick up your things shortly after you left. I saw him briefly, but it wasn't a very in depth conversation.”

“How’s he doing? Is he okay?”

“I don’t know. Something was off about him. He just seemed…not fully there. It’s tough to explain.”

“I never got to say goodbye,” I say, my eyes watering. “I never got to fix things between us.”

“I’m really sorry, Nic. Is there anything I can do?”

I take a deep breath, pulling myself together. “No. It’s like you said. Only I can fix this. I lost my chance, and now I’ll never see him again.” I sigh. “Just let me know when you find out more about how long I’ll be here, okay?”

“Alright,” she says, clearly feeling helpless. “Hang in there.”

“Thank you. For everything.”

“Talk to you later.”

“Bye.” I hang up and examine the phone screen in my hand. I scroll through my contacts until I come across Harry’s. I’ve already tried to reach him dozens of times. He won’t pick up or text me back. He doesn’t respond to my voicemails. He wants nothing to do with me. It really is heartbreaking.

I sigh and head back inside, retreating to my room and replacing my headphones once again. I turn the music up for good this time, blocking out the world and trapping myself in my own.

Maybe if I run away things would be better. Just like Melissa did. I still haven’t figured out why she decided to ruin my life. I didn’t try to look for her just like she asked. I didn’t do anything to her to deserve this. I did exactly what she requested, and she still told the authorities. But she was right about one thing. The world is unfair. I guess I should’ve known that by now.

AUTHORS NOTE

wow I bet you all are flipping shit right now. THEYRE SEPARATED OH NO. please tell me what you think will happen because i'm very very curious to hear your thoughts on this ;) I already have the next chapter written so I mean I'm basically just evil. It happens. Did you like my incredibly sarcastic chapter title? Yeah. I know. Anyways, thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a great NEW YEAR! 2014 BITCHES :) i love you soo much and thanks again for a fantabulous year! OH AND BTW THIS STORY HAS RECENTLY MADE IT ON THE WHATS HOT LIST *BABOOM* IM FEELIN THIS YEAR COULD BE PRETTY OKAY BECAUSE THIS ISNT A BAD START xD THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! Ahh I love you all<3 okay byee xx