Chapter 2

This is it. The typical first day of college. I gather whatever ounce of confidence I have and keep my head up, guiding myself to my first class, with the help of my campus map of course.

After 10 minutes of wandering around, I come to the conclusion that I am nowhere near getting to biology. I look around and find that there aren't many people around me - a couple of pairs but I can't make conversation for my life, so asking for help from people I don't know is completely out of the question. These are the times where having Natalie in the same school as me comes in handy. She would just strut to anyone, flip her blond hair, and flirtily ask for directions. Yeah, right. I groan and inwardly think to myself that I should've just gone to USC with her. I can't help but wonder how I was the class valedictorian for my high school. I may be book smart but I sure as hell am not street smart. A deep voice next to me speaks, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"You seem lost," he comments while chuckling to himself.

"I'm not, I just....Well you see..." I continue to babble on, making him laugh. I stop myself from talking before I embarrass myself even more. When he speaks again I can't help but flush.

"I'm sorry for laughing, you must be new here. My name's Pierce," he says apologetically. He holds out a hand for me to shake, which I take in gratitude.

"Esme," I simply reply, trying to keep my cool. Though he really is handsome with his coffee colored hair, I should get going - bio starts in like, twenty minutes.

"Cool name," he remarks. "Freshman?"

I just nod.

He smiles and says, "Sophomore. What's your next class? I'll walk you there, cause I know my way around campus pretty well."

"I have biology with Professor..." I glance at my schedule, "O'Neill."

He grins widely. "We have the same class my friend, no worries."

I silently thank the heavens that I have this luck. We begin to walk side by side to class.

"So where are you from?" He asks casually.

"San Francisco, you?" I want to keep the conversation going to avoid awkward silence.

"I'm originally from New York City. I like the city life," he states.

"Me too! I don't like a lot of attention. When you live in a small town, everyone knows everyone. That's something I wanted to avoid. I prefer a place where you can live for ten years and still not know everyone there, ya know?" I say.

We continue to talk and the conversation becomes more easy to uphold. Pierce is a funny, easy going guy to talk to. I decide that he'll be one of my friends at UCLA. Before I know I know it, we're standing in front of the lecture hall.

Pierce looks down at me and smirks. "Ready?" he asks.

"Not really," I admit.

"College will be hella fun Esme, loosen up." He smiles widely and I swear my heart almost stops. His smile is literally dazzling. I gulp and try to keep myself from blushing.

"I'll try," I squirm nervously.

"Relax." Much to my surprise, he slings his arm across my shoulder and guides me into the classroom.

One thing is for sure: this is not how I envisioned my first thirty minutes on campus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vote!

Comment!!

Share!!!