3. lions and tigers and bears, oh my

J A Y

J A Y

It wasn't every day our school took my grade out on a camp. The school had been battering and tampering with the idea but the day had come.

I watched as everyone paired up with his or her bus partner. It was all very exciting; most wanted to lose their first kiss in the "wilderness".

To my surprise, Soren McKinin boarded the bus. I thought he couldn't afford anything to do with sleeping in a tent with people. I glanced around and it was obvious most of the girls had noticed, too, and were whispering.

I sat alone; Soren sat away from me. I guess our conversations behind the school did not mean we were friends at all.

The camp wasn't very—per say—clean, but it had a beautiful lake and many dirt tracks for hiking or motorbike riding.

I was supposed to be in a tent with a girl called Christie Quok who'd I'd never actually heard speak English.

I sat under a big pine tree and opened my book, feeling the light rays of sun greet my skin. Shouts came from the lake as the boys tackled each other into the water, girls following close behind.

I watched a poor, old, skinny math teacher run after everyone telling them to be careful.

Once we had been changed, the teachers gathered us together and packed the hiking backpacks with tents, clothes, food, water and other cooking items.

The walk wasn't long, but it was uphill and my calves ached by the time we reached our destination.

Everyone set up their tents; Christie spent a good ten minutes trying to find our tent. Dinner consisted of eggs and bacon rolled into a wrap but it was good enough for me.

"There's an activity tonight for anyone who wants to be involved." Mr Boyle announced as we cleaned our dishes, "A Four Wheel drive experience. Can I please get a show of hands who would like to participate?"

I looked around at the raised hands and grinned.

"Wonderful. Put your dishes away and we'll get started." I watched as kids scattered to run to their tents.

To my surprise, I was put in a car with Soren who he seemed completely dead to the world. One elbow resting against the window, the other hand stuffed in his pocket. William, a small headed boy, sat in the front seat, while Christie sat in the middle of Soren and I.

Our driver put down all the window as we sped along the dusty roads; it wasn't long before the roads turned into fields.

The driver took so many turns in different directions. At a certain point, I literally couldn't tell which way camp was.