Chapter 6- Lesson Learning 101

His Fake Girlfriend

Chapter 6- Lesson Learning 101

*Sky’s POV*

"Do you need any help, Mrs. Coleman?" I offered politely standing on the other side of the island.

She waved her hand dismissively at me, "Please call me Maura. Thank you for the offer but you’re a guest, you don't need to do any work." She smiled putting some potatoes on the cutting board.

"Oh please it’s nothing Maura." I giggled walking up to the sink to wash my hands, "You have such a pretty name." I commented drying my hands off with a paper towel. 

"Thank you Sky, that's very nice of you." She sighed looking at me, a little smile formed on her lips, "Fine you can help." She laughed placing the knife down, "If you could cut the rest of these that'd be great." She said walking over to the fridge and pulling out some chicken, "So you and my son; you've two been dating for how long now?" She asked cutting open the packaging.

I started to panic. I’m going to have to lie to her. How can I lie to a face as innocent and adorable as hers!? I looked up from the cutting board and saw her smiling at me. Why couldn’t Jeremy be back from the mall already!? Its ok Sky, you can do this. Take a big deep breath. You’ve lied before it’s no problem. You can do it.

"Four months." I told her with a wary smile. I had to remember our 'story' I made up on the plane ride, "We were both sitting at the campus cafe one night studding for our Business Law midterm. I was at one table he was at another, it was late, we had both been there for hours and Jeremy came up to me asking a question. Once I answered his question we were practically studding together. We left that night he kind of hinted that he wanted to take me out, but I didn't really think he would. We took our exam, went on winter break, and when we came back he took me out on a date. And I guess you can say the rest is history." I told as I cut potatoes slowly, hoping that I remembered every correct part of the fake story I was telling. I didn't want lies catching up to me so soon. I wanted to make sure I was convincing.

She seemed to approve nodding her head and grinning, "That's so sweet." She cooed, "And you're both in the same Business Law class?" She asked. I nodded my head dumping a bunch of cut potatoes in a pot, "Jeremy never tells me anything, that's why I ask." She giggles lightly cleaning and cutting some parts of the chicken.

"I've noticed." I mentioned filling the pot with some water from the sink, "He likes to listen and he helps, which isn't a bad thing at all."

"Jeremy is like that. He rather help others with their problems or needs than face his own." She tells me as she walks over to the pantry grabbing a colorful glass platter. That's defiantly the truth. Jeremy helps others, that's his thing, more than his mom even knows it. Maura sighed grabbing some tin foil and then she put it on the platter and laid the chicken on it, "I'll wait for Jeremy so he can cook this up. He's much better on the grill than I am." She chuckled beginning to season it. 

I walked to the stove putting the pot on the top and turning the fire on, "So will Mr. Coleman be joining us for dinner tonight?" I asked adjusting the fire. I haven't met Jeremy's dad yet, come to think of it he's never mentioned his dad before. Is that strange?