The Wrong Case

The three reappear in the street and Tina grabs hold of Newt's arm dragging him along by his coat sleeve towards the Woolworth building. Evelyn follows behind not sure how to feel about what Tina is doing.

"Er - sorry but I do have things to do actually." Newt protests very politely, although his British charm doesn't seem to help this time.

"You'll have to rearrange!" Tina snaps rather to harshly for Evelyn's liking, 

She feels rather sorry for Newt, she can tell his hearts in the right place even if he is somewhat a rule breaker. 

Curiously Evelyn asks "What are you doing here in New York?"

Newt responds with a gentle smile one that makes her feel quite faint, as he stumbles slightly tripping up as Tina hurries him along.

"I came to buy a birthday present."

"Couldn't you have done that in London" Tina asks obviously not pleased by the commotion this one man has caused because of a birthday present.

Newt goes on to talk about Appaloosa Puffskiens and how they can only be found in New York. Evelyn however is trying to figure him out, she's almost certain that's not why he's in New York for two reasons, one breeding in America is strictly forbidden and two no one not even curious men like Newt himself would come all the way from England just for a birthday present.

Unless.. maybe it was for a special someone and if it wasn't for them entering the building in a rather rushed pace Evelyn may have noticed the pang of jealousy she felt from thinking of this curious man having a special someone.

They soon enter the lobby where there's a gigantic clock like object hanging from high up, it's dial is on 'Severe: Unexplained Activity' and behind that is a huge portrait of Seraphina Picquery; the MACUSA president.

The three walk over to an elevator and Evelyn stops, she'd rather not interrupt a meeting with the president.

"I'm not coming." Evelyn states as boldly as she can muster.

Tina and Newt both turn to look at her.

"Suit yourself then" Tina says not that bothered,  "I'll meet you back down in the wand permit section" she adds and Evelyn nods leaving the pair.

She wishes she was braver as she walks away,  for Newt's sake, he was hardly a criminal. But in no way does she want to find herself suffering the second embarrassment that will come from Tina barging into see Madame Picquery. 

If Evelyn has learnt anything, it's best she stays away from being the centre of attention. 

She makes her way down to the basement and over to a corner where a sign reads 'Wand Permit Office' although.. it's not really an office as such.

No sunlight enters the wand permit room, there's no windows and it's all very cramped with the clutter of hundreds of typewriters on battered brown desks.

Sooner than expected, Tina returns and Evelyn knows it hasn't gone well as Newt is still by her side. She begins rustling though random bits of paper as though she knows what they are. She's trying to keep herself from being to embarrassed, meaning she got shut down by the president.

 Which is exactly why Evelyn didn't go.

"So you have your wand permit? All foreigners must have one." Tina says still keeping up her professional tone.

"Made a postal application weeks ago" Newt answers and Tina eyes him suspiciously.

"This place is a mess, I'm sure I misplaced it" Evelyn interrupts unsure of why she has the urge to help Newt.

"You were in Equatorial Guinea?" Tina asks scribbling who knows what onto some parchment.

"I've just completed a year in the field. I'm writing about magical creatures." Newts says his eyes lighting up as he speaks of the creatures.

Evelyn isn't sure whether she should say how amazing that is and how she herself has a fascination into magical creatures but she's glad she's doesn't when Tina speaks again.

 "An extermination guide?"

"Misunderstood creatures" Evelyn mutters sadly.

"A guide to help people understand why we should be protecting these creatures instead of killing them." Newt responds as Evelyn agrees with every word he says.

Just as Evelyn goes to agree with Newt, A man named Abernathy walks over to the desk where Tina has all of a sudden attempted to hide,

"Goldstein! Did you just butt in on the investigator team again??" He sounds disappointed as a guilty look appears on Tina's face.

Abernathy acknowledges Evelyn with a nod of his head then looks towards Newt

 "Where'd she pick you up?" To which Newt shrugs as a response much to Tina's relief.

Before He can be questioned further a sharp faced man by the name of Mr Graves turns up eyeing the group to which Tina hurriedly explains herself.

"This is Mr Scamander, he has a crazy creature in his case and it caused mayhem in the bank earlier sir." 

Graves shows no emotion on his face as he has asks to see what in the case,  much to Newts dismay.

They all crowd round it as it's carefully opened, as though some beast will fly out and attack... but nothing happens , for within it much to everyone's surprise is six different kinds of pastries perfectly arranged in two rows.

 The worried look on Newts faces confirms that it isn't supposed to look this way.

-
I'm so tried guys so really this was just a filler to set the story I swear soon they'll be more contact with Newt and Evelyn and less Tina. (Tina is still great though but for this story she isn't a love interest) -C x