Secret Worry

"Is there anything else you need, my love?" Abel asked. 

"No, I'll be alright. I think I just need to lie down for a bit." April sounded calm but her body was hot and clammy. A lot of the color had drained from her face and she'd been feeling weak for the past two days. 

"I don't know what this is," Abel was extremely worried. "Maybe we should call a doctor." 

"Honey, no. I'll be alright. It's just a little stomach trouble," she said. 

"Alright," He looked doubtful. 

"Standing there worrying over me won't do you any good Abel, you should go for a walk."

"I don't want to leave your side." 

She sighed, sounding fatigued. "Abel, my love," she yawned, "I'm not going anywhere. You can go and come right back. Get some fresh air for the both of us." She extended her hand and he reached out and took it, kissing it deeply. 

"All right, my love. I'll be back soon." 

"Alright," she said, her eyelids a centimeter from closing. She drifted off to sleep and her hand slipped from his own. 

Abel bent down and gently kissed her forehead, brushing the curly strands of her hair out of the way. 

Once he had tucked her in snugly, he went downstairs and gathered his coat. He would take his wife's advice. He would take a walk. Abel left his house, but not before leaving careful instructions for the maids just in case April awoke. They where to be there for her just in case she needed anything. He stepped into the day and closed the door behind him. 

As Abel made his way down a public path, he was greeted by many neighbors. He waved politely, attempting to hide his secret worry. He comforted himself in knowing that he was not sitting idly by. He was going to call on the local physician. He was only following a part of April's advice. 

Once Abel had arrived at his destination he knocked on the door. 

"Hello, Mr. Hugh, it's a pleasure to see you," the man said.

"Hello, Dr. Brown, the pleasure's all mine," he said to the man. 

"What can I help you with?" The man continued. 

"I have a serious problem..."

After leading the doctor back to his home, Abel crept up the steps and to his room to wake April. He wanted the physician to get a good look at her. Dr. Brown patiently sat downstairs and waited for Abel to wake his wife. 

As Abel approached his sleeping wife, he marveled at how beautiful she was. She was a vision of pure peace and grace even without the full intensity of her rosy cheeks.  He kissed her cheek and whispered into her ear, "April." When she did not stir, he whispered again, "April, my love, wake up. I've called a doctor." Playfully he nuzzled his cheek against her own and gently bit her lip. But still she did not stir. Abel, more seriously, sat on the bed and firmly but softly shook her shoulders. "April," he called out full voice when she would not move. "April, my dear," he lifted her upper body completely off the bed and she slumped against him. "Doctor Brown!" He called in a panic. Seconds later, the doctor was up the stairs and in the room with him. "What's the matter?" He said, beholding the scene before him. Abel's eyes welled up with tears. "Is she...," he began but could not finish. The doctor came and checked for April's pulse. "Her heart is beating," he said. With a sigh of relief, Abel held her closer and placed his ear to her chest to hear for himself. "What's wrong with her?" He asked afterwards. "I...I don't know," the doctor responded, "But we have to find out or she may not wake up anytime soon." 

They looked at each other. Abel's was filled with dread.

~

To Be Continued...

Thanks for reading. Since it takes me a while to update between chapters, I decided to add a cliffhanger in order to keep myself honest. Thanks for reading. Don't forget to comment and vote!