Chapter Nineteen

Eve

            The next afternoon, I left with most of the other students on the train home for Christmas break—so I didn't have a chance to get Malfoy alone. In fact, he purposefully avoided me at the station when we got off in London. I tried to call to him when I saw him getting off only a few feet from me, but he completely ignored me and quickly disappeared into the growing crowd of parents and students.

             So then there was nothing left for me to do, except go home with my aunt and spend the rest of Christmas vacation cursing myself for what had happened that Friday night.

            But my aunt and I were still able to have a pleasant Christmas, despite how moody we both were. I was upset over what had happened with Malfoy, and she was feeling lonely again now that this was the first holiday we'd had without my uncle. I tried to keep her happy by reminding her that we didn't need him—he was the one who walked out on us, after all, and she attempted to cheer me up as well.

            "Keep your chin up, honey," she had smiled warmly that New Year's Eve, raising her glass of firewhiskey to mine. "Another year's gone by and we're still safe."

            I had grinned weakly in return and tapped my glass against hers, thinking the whole while that I was ruining my chances of ever being safe, considering the people I was associating myself with at Hogwarts.

            I spent the next week off from school trying desperately to refrain from telling my aunt about Malfoy, because the last thing I needed was for her to find out what was going on between me and the boy whose parents were well-known Death Eaters. She would probably make me transfer schools again if she knew what Draco had said to me the last time we spoke.

            The end of Christmas vacation came all too soon, and I still hadn't figured out what I was going to say to Malfoy when I finally managed to get him alone. Sure, I knew what I wanted to say, but I still didn't know what I should say.

            My aunt pulled into the parking lot at the train station in London, and I got out with my trunk and stood by her open window. She leaned out slightly and kissed my cheek, saying a bit guiltily, "I've got to run to work, Evelyn, I'm sorry. Have a great rest of the year, make sure to write me as often as you can and if you ever need anything—"

            "It's okay," I interrupted quickly, laughing a bit and patting her shoulder. "I'll be alright, don't worry about me. Make sure you write me, too."

            I could see she was starting to get emotional as she said, "I will. Love you, honey."

            "Love you too, auntie."

            I waved as she pulled out of the parking lot, then picked up my trunk and started for the station.

            Once inside Platform 9 ¾, I was able to find Neville pretty quickly. He helped me with my trunk, then boarded the train with me to find the compartment Ginny and Luna had already saved. I kept an eye out for Malfoy the entire time, but I couldn't spot him anywhere.

            I tried to tell myself that this was a good thing.

            I sat beside Ginny on the train, and as it left the station for Hogwarts, the four of us asked each other about our holidays. About halfway there everyone fell asleep, but I couldn't find it in myself to close my eyes. I spent the rest of the train ride with my gaze fixed out the window, desperately trying to figure out what I was going to say to Malfoy when I finally saw him again.