Chapter 3

Pierce guides me into biology and I flush again when Professor O'Neill sees Pierce's arm around my shoulder. I look around the classroom and find that there aren't many seats available. The only ones left are in the front row, not that I'm complaining. Giving me an assuring squeeze, Pierce walks to the back of the classroom where I'm guessing his clique is located. Figures.

I notice that before I sit down a girl with fiery red hair gives me a dirty look. Not used to these types of situations, I keep her gaze and flash the world's most fake smile back at her. I hear animated chatter coming from the back of the classroom and I realize that we have an audience. The girl huffs and looks down at her phone. What is her deal?

I sit down at my desk and begin to read over the course syllabus that was placed on my desk. While waiting for class to start, I decide to use my freetime wisely by taking a few moments to organize myself. I use the syllabus to help me put together the compartments of my binder. I'm not necessarily one of those obsessive compulsive disorder control freaks, but I do like things to stay organized. Once I am done with this, I begin to read the syllabus in more detail.

A couple of minutes later, Professor O'Neill starts class. I pay attention to him and take notes as much as possible. I have a feeling that this class is going to be semi-difficult and will take up a lot of my time. During the last fifteen minutes of class, he tells us that we are going to introduce ourselves in front of the entire classroom, starting with the back. Fantastic.

People seem to be paying no attention, but when the red head stands up to introduce herself, it seems as if all eyes are on her. She clears her throat and says, "My name is Carmen Faye. I come originally from Florida, but some of you may know my last name from my daddy, who owns Faye Incorporated." She smiled boastfully and continues to talk about her life, mainly how Faye Inc. is very successful.

I usually don't judge people, but by the way she flips her hair and looks at her manicured nails, she seems like someone who I could never be friends with.

When Pierce and his guy friends introduce themselves, I notice that a lot of the girls in the classroom turn red, including me. He really is handsome, I'm not going to deny it. Eventually, it's my turn. I just want to get this over with.

I stand up and turn around to face the rest of the class. Then I announce what I hope sounds somewhat confident, "Hi, my name is Esmeralda Chambers, but you can just call me Esme. I lived in San Francisco. This is my first year at UCLA and I hope to make the best out of it. " I smile brightly to try and make up for the lack of information in my mini speech. Some people stood and talked about themselves for a minute or so, but mine probably lasted for about three seconds. Short and sweet.

The professor then looks at me with eyes that seemed to say, Thank you for not ranting on about your life like some others. "Thank you, Esme," he says with a smile.

When the introductions are through, there are about five minutes left in the class, which we could use freely. Being the overachiever I am, I take that time to go up to Professor O'Neill and ask him if he offers any form of extra credit. Basically, I want to indicate that I actually give a crap about my grade in his class.

He isn't young, but he isn't old either. It seems to me that he is in his mid-thirties. He looks up and as he sees me approach his desk, he smiles warmly. I like him already.

"Hello, Professor O'Neill!" I want to seem enthusiastic, as cheesy as it sounds.

"Hi, what can I do for you?"

"I just wanted to ask you if you offered any extra credit?"

He chuckles before saying, "I was thinking you would ask that, many students have done so already. But the answer is yes, I do to those who ask. I don't have anything prepared for you right now but I will let you know later on in the week when I have something for you."

I thank him gratefully and make my way back to my seat, making a mental note to order my textbooks off of Amazon.

When the Professor finally dismisses us, I gather all of my things and put them into my PINK tote that Talie bought for me from Victoria's Secret. When I look up, Pierce and Carmen are hugging each other tightly. Pierce isn't faced in my direction and Carmen's eyes are shut, facing my direction. She suddenly opens her eyelids and I flush from being caught staring. Sensing my discomfort, she smirks and runs her catty fingernails down his back, squeezing him tighter. I hastily make my way out of the classroom to prevent myself from further embarrassment.

So much for making friends. It seems to me that I have already made an enemy. Great.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think about Carmen and Pierce's relationship with each other so far? What are they to each other?

There's only one way to find out, so vote for more!