Six • Nice

Walking over to the couch you just dropped. Curling up in the throw blanket and attempting to go to sleep.

"Sis?" Poppy asked, a few minutes later as she returned from her room down the hall, to the living room.

"Yeah?" You responded in a sleepy tone. You could hardly keep your eyes open by this point.

"Can I name the phoenix Newt?" Poppy asked.

Rolling over on the couch so fast you almost landed on the floor. You looked to your sister with a stupefied look.

"Why? Why do you do these things?" You said, as you sat up.

With a wide grin, Poppy laughed. It was one of your father's favorite lines. Poppy was adopted at a very young age, she had become a sort of live in best friend for you when you were young. The girl never fretted about a thing because she always had her big sister. But above all Poppy enjoyed making you uncomfortable. Well, she tried to in a sense. Most of the time she just tried to embarrass you in front of any man she deemed as attractive. Which was a lot of men considering she was 12.

"I thought it would be cute is all. Wouldn't it?" Poppy beamed.

"Poppy just go to bed, it's late. We can name the phoenix in the morning. It's far past midnight and your bedtime." You said, as motherly as possible.

"But sis!" Poppy complained.

"Bed. Now." You said, as you rolled back over on the couch.

"Can you marry Newt? I think I would be happy with him being my brother in law. He's nice and funny, and nice." Poppy said, as she came over and sat on the couch. Crushing your legs under her.

"Poppy, please go to bed." You groaned, as you forced your face into the throw pillow ever more.

"What do you think of Newt? I mean, if I was old, I would totaly date him."

"Thank Merlin you're not 'old' then. I try not to think of him away from work, but you're just making it hard for me now." You said with a sigh.

You weren't going to win this time. Poppy was wired and you would have to talk with her until the sun came up. It was a shame you had work the following day, otherwise you would have enjoyed talking about boys with your sister.

"Good. You just have to be with him. It's destiny." Poppy chimed.

"Destiny, my rear end, but I have to admit, he isn't bad looking." You said, as you sat up.

"And he's nice!" Poppy said happily.

"Poppy there are so many words to describe people. Why would you choose nice? Nice is the most generic thing you can say about a person. You would describe a person you met on the street as nice, then never see them again, and it would be fine. Honestly." You groaned again.

"Well. When I come up with a better adjective. I'll let you know." Poppy said as she stood up.

Poppy then left you in the living room alone again. The fireplace was out, and a chill had your hairs on end.

Getting up you lit the logs with magic, then picked up the mug from the pile of newspapers and ministry files that covered the coffee table. By sheer coincidence, the file under the mug was that of Newton Scamander. Taking another look at the file wouldn't hurt.

You sat back down and flipped through the file.

FULL NAME:
Newton Artemis Fido Scamander

BIRTHDAY YEAR:
1897

HOUSE:
Hufflepuff

SKILLS:
Magizoology

That was the file, along with an unflattering picture of him from when he was kicked out of school.

With a sigh you closed the file and got up to put the cup in the sink. After doing so you returned to the couch.

Laying down you nearly fell asleep facing the hearth, before a large flash of green emitted from the fire. After the soot and smoke cleared a tall man in a dirty, ash covered blue coat stood before you in the dark, with the glow of the fire backlighting him.

"Is Poppy asleep?" The voice asked from the dark.

"SCAMANDER?" You spat.

"You can call me Newt, I wish you would. I told you that when I met you." Newt said matter of factly.

"When I met you earlier today! Now get out of my living room!" You snapped.

Sitting up and pulling your blanket around your shoulders, you faced him with your wand in hand.

"A smidge demanding, don't you think?" Newt said with his usual calm tone.

"I'm trying to sleep, Scamander. I would advise you to go home and do the same." You said, as you trying your damnedest to hide your messy hair.

"Well...Can we meet tomorrow then?" Newt asked.

"I have to go to work Scamander." You said with finality.

"I see." Newt hummed, as he appraised the room with his eyes.

"Please go home, Scamander. It's late. I will get your scarf and your teacup back to you. I promise."

With a slight smile, Newt nodded and waved his wand.

"You were in Ravenclaw, right?" He asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"If remember correctly..."

"How about we not talk about the good old days right now, it's late."

Newt looked a bit shaken but, case in hand he apparated somewhere.

You had a feeling that you would be seeing this man far more than you had originally planned. But to your utter dismay, you didn't much mind. Newt Scamander would show up again. In his blue jacketed, case carrying glory, and you looked forward to it, like you always had.

If you enjoyed the chapter please remember to vote, thanks. Where is the weirdest place you have ever fallen asleep? Mine was probably a bathroom floor on an airplane!