A Month To Live (29)

We all retreated to the upstairs living room after all the tacos had been ravaged. I hadn't been in this room before and it was on the opposite side of the house to the bedrooms.

‘I will run you over if you don’t get out of my way, bitch,’ I growled at Bradley who was driving directly in front of me and blocking me from overtaking him.

‘You can’t run over another car!’ he laughed.

‘I can and I will!’ I replied angrily.

‘Win!’ Remi exclaimed a few moments later as she passed the finish line. ‘Jeez, why’re you guys so far back?’ she laughed as she saw us both not even racing anymore and just trying to make each other crash.

‘I will run you over in your own car on the way to school,’ I scowled up at Bradley from where I was sat on the floor. He was on the armchair behind me and knocked his knee against my shoulder with a grin.

‘I look forward to it,’ he replied.

‘You guys are just so violent,’ Kyle said, shaking his head at us.

‘Yeah I will be towards you if you don’t pipe down,’ I snorted, switching my glare to him.

‘Lord, save me,’ Kyle said, looking to the ceiling as he held both of his hands up. He shifted in his beanbag to get comfier and sent a cute smile to Remi who was leaning on it right next to him.

‘New game!’ I declared.

‘You’ve said that after the last four games you’ve sucked at,’ Bradley laughed.

I punched his leg in annoyance. ‘Shut up!’ I ordered.

I crawled forward and rifled through the box of games, scattering them on the carpet as I looked.

‘Oh, what about this wrestling game?’ I asked.

‘It’s only two player,’ Bradley said. ‘It’d be us against them.’

‘I’m pretty confident that we can take them down, aren’t you?’ I asked.

‘With Satan’s spawn on my side, I am indeed confident,’ he smiled.

‘We’ll destroy you,’ Remi said and I swear the room darkened slightly.

‘We’ll see,’ I said with a wink as I replaced the racing game with the wrestling one before retreating back to the pillow I'd been sitting on.

‘Sit up here, I’ll teach you how to play,’ Bradley said, moving up on the armchair slightly to make some room for me.

‘Okay,’ I began to say, getting to my feet. He yanked me down almost before I could get the word out and I fell back into his lap.

'Forgot about your bony ass,' he said as I shifted over so I was only half on him. There wasn't quite enough room to sit side by side.

'Asshole,' I muttered, sending my elbow back into his stomach.

He laughed before sliding his arm around my waist and bringing the controller in front of me.

‘This button lets you grab the other guy, this is your character’s special power button...’ Bradley continued to explain how to play as the game loaded up.

‘Which character shall we be?’ he asked.

‘Hmm,’ I mused. ‘That tattoo bald guy looks like he can hold his ground in a fight so that’ll make it more believable,’ I said.

Bradley laughed. ‘Are we really talking about believability during a video game?’ he asked me

‘Yes, yes we are,’ I told him. ‘Please, can we be him?’