Chapter 68

White Wisdom was the only creature of the air to remain upon his perch after the others scattered to safer and quieter lodgings. He peered through the leaves of the highest tree he could find at the cavern entrance and so he alone saw the female rush out of the cave and crumple to the ground, panting and crying in equal measure. He shuffled on his branch uncomfortably.

He disliked his fire breathing brothers and sisters of the air, mostly due to his long memory and dragons territorial nature when it came to sharing the sky. But he liked humans a little more, especially this young female who danced among the great forest like no other he had known, baring The Witch of course.

He waited to see what the child would do, rather impatiently.

After a while, when her sobs had subsided but she had not moved from her miserable heap, he ruffled his feathers irritably and swooped down to land near her shaking form, he let out a little 'coo' to warn her, she jumped.

The child raised puffy red eyes towards him, surprise momentarily distracting her from her grief, he watched her expectantly.

She sniffed and wiped her eyes, when he remained she reached towards him.

He hopped backwards, disliking the way humans, even The Witch, liked to flatten down his feathers when he liked them to remain fluffed, to more easily intimidate when necessary. Her hand lowered,

"What the Goddess?" she sniffed, staring at him with wide almost fearful eyes, "Are you real"

He ruffled his feathers irritably, then hopped towards the cave, he stopped just before the shadows then turned his head to look at her, she had not moved.

He hopped into the shadows then turned to look at her, she still did not move, just watching him, confused.

He made an irritated 'coo coo', which was most undignified, and hopped back into the light, then hopped back, then out again, then in again and repeat.

After a while, the girl picked herself up and asked tentatively,

"You want me to go back in there?"

Finally. He made, what he hoped, was an affirmative 'coo' sound.

The girl looked deep into the darkness, her face white,

"What if he hurts me?" she said quietly,

If an owl could have rolled its eyes, he would have. Instead he hopped over and nipped at her hand with his beak, drawing blood,

The girl yelped and pulled away from him. He hopped to the entrance then stared at her, willing her to get on with it.

After much too long, the female, finally, walked into the cave. Her back was ram rod straight and she trembled only a little. White Wisdom watched her go.

His work done, he flew up to the nearest tree, and settled down to watch, after a long time, he closed his eyes and settled his head under his wing to sleep.