Chapter Two

Royal Palace of Port CressidaHis Majesty King Casper I

His Majesty King Casper I

Nothing could have prepared me for the sweet ecstasy of seeing my beloved bride for the first time.

I watched her from the safety of the bulletproof SUV.

In the act of defiance, she had chained herself to the railings of her late grandparent's community centre. I watched in silent admiration as she stood up to the demolition crew, trying to destroy her family's legacy.

She was fierce but human. The chains around her arms were causing her pain. I could see dark purple bruises forming on her soft golden brown skin. It took everything in me not to jump out of the car and remove the chains from her body.

It was every male's dream to find their fated one, and it pained me to see my mate injured and in distress. I wanted to go to her and kiss every one of those bruises better, but she was human. She would not recognise me as her mate. Instead, she would view me as a psychopathic creep.

After speaking to my sister-in-law, Mia, I decided it was best to court Sophie like a human. There would be no midnight wedding or traumatic human-to-vampire conversion. Instead, it would be civil, genteel, straight from, in Mia's words, a Bridgeton novel. Although my thoughts were closer to Fifty Shades of Grey, seeing her soft curves bound to the railing.

I bit back a groan as I imagined the perfection of our first night together. I wanted to spend hours memorising every inch of her. I needed to make up for the years we had been apart. But, all good things come to those who wait.

If Nico's plan works, then in a few months, she will be ready to accept my marriage proposal. Then, I would need to explain my position as King and, more importantly, her position as Queen.

There was going to be a lot for her to take on board.

I watched Nico talking to Sophie and felt my stomach drop as her eyebrows drew together in concern.

"She's not happy," I said out loud.

My only other companion in the car was Jacques, my best friend and right-hand man. Jacques gazed at his phone, swiping left and right through profile pictures of beautiful vampire women.

He half-cocked his head towards the window and replied, "She smells a rat - a big fat stinky vampire rat."

I clutched at my chest, feeling physical pain at the thought of losing her again.

"She probably thinks I'm a rich pervert that wants to buy his way into her pants," I replied.

"But, isn't that what you are doing?"

I shot him a withering look and replied, "It's nothing like that. Sophie is my heart, my twin flame, my-"

Jacques rolled his eyes and snapped, "Could you please stop? I hate this lovey-dovey bullshit. When Luc and Mia got together, I thought that my wingman days were over. But here I am, helping chase your mysterious dream girl."