Ten • Late

You couldn't believe it. He showed up at your home, again! He was far too persistent for his own good.

Rolling over in bed you saw Pickett sleeping on the corner of your bed by your pillow. What was it about Newt's creatures that intrigued you so? You had either heard or seen of most of his companions, and yet seeing him with them gave them a sort of new meaning.

Newt was kind-hearted, if nothing else. He was also quite proper, a gentleman of sorts. Yet he attempted to stalk you! You didn't care what he thought he was doing. It was completely unreasonable!

After studying what you knew silently you realized Newt was treating you like one of his beasts! The way he watched you and analyzed your every move. He was trying to figure you out just as much as you were trying to understand him. He was showing up frequently because you have to be persistent when trying to gain the trust of magical creatures, because more often than not they rejected you, a lot.

It made sense in a weird full circle kind of way. It explained a few things about what he was doing. Yet it didn't explain why he was doing this to you of all people. After you tried to find some sort of verdict on how to proceed with dealing with the man you dozed off.

When you awoke it was far later than you had hoped. Looking over at the clock hung up on the wall beside the door you realized you were at least an hour late for work!

Throwing off your covers you dressed and put your hair up, you had no time to do anything else with it really.

Running out to the living room with your jacket and bag in hand you saw Poppy seamimgly passed out on the couch. Her head and back were on the floor and her legs stuck up against the couch, half of her body under her quilt that she must had from her bed.

"Poppy!" You yelled from the kitchen.

"I didn't do it!" Poppy slurred out in a tired voice.

"I'm late for work you know? It's 10 already." You said as you walked over to the fireplace with your breakfast in hand, a giant cinnamon roll.

"Hey! That's mine, you big stupid!" Poppy said as she pulled herself back up onto the couch.

"Not anymore. I'll get more after work. That's is if I don't loose my job over this." You said as you took some floo powder.

"Newt said that you had a Bowtruckle. What is that?" Poppy asked, as you nearly threw down the powder in your hand.

"I'll tell you later. Have a good day." You said as you flooed to your office.

Walking out of the fireplace you saw three men standing in your office. With a shudder, you cleared your throat.

The two ministry men in black robes looked to you. One was the minister for magic himself and the other was the head of your department. The other man who stood above your desk, looking through some of your papers whenever the other two men were not looking, stood Newt.

"Glad you could make it." The department head said in spite.

"What's the meaning of this?" You asked, as you looked between the men, trying to put together a story.

"We're putting you into the field." The minister said with a slight smirk. How you loathed that man.

"The field?" Newt asked, looking as confused as you felt.

"The two of you will be working on a highly classified case. One that involves recent beast attacks here in Britain." The department head replied.

"Why us?" You asked.

"We have no one else who is qualified at the moment. You have a history in the department and Mr Scamander here is a magizoologist." The minister said.

"Looks like we're stuck at the hip for the next while." Newt said, with a smile sent in your direction.

"Quite. You start immediately." The department head said as he turned along with the minister, and left.

Looking to Newt your mouth hung open. What was the point of this? What were the odds of you being paired with Newt?

"Pickett?" Newt asked, as he tilted his head.

"What?" You asked, as Newt walked over to you and eyed your shoulder.

"Why did you go to my flat in the middle of the night again? I thought we established that you shouldn't floo there whenever you want." You said still a little shook up.

"I was trying to warn you about his whole arrangement. That's why I went to your office yesterday. I just forgot then left before I told you." Newt admitted.

With a groan you walked over to your desk and found your papers all in piles like your papers on your coffee table. The file for the case sat on the top of one of the piles. Picking up the file you flipped it open.

"Did you want to take this case?" You asked Newt as you skimmed through the included papers in the file.

"To be completely honest? Yes." Newt said with a shy smile.

Please remember to vote and comment what you think on the chapter, thanks.