Chapter L

"Annie, oh God Annie!" The blackness was fading, leaving grey and haze behind. I felt like I was sitting in front of the sea while a big fog was rolling in.

"Sue what happened?" he growled. That was a good question.

"She was going to do the laundry, Jake. Keep her on her side, Jake. If she vomits or something, you don't want her to suffocate."

I could feel a stabbing pain in my chest, like someone was slowly pulling a stake out of my heart. I was cold, sweat rolling down my back. Something warm was on my upper arm, gently rubbing my arm.

"Annie, please wake up. Please," he was begging me.

"Jacob, she hasn't been out very long. It only lasted a minute."

"Why does this keep happening to her, Sue? How do I keep messing this up?" he screamed. "Is that blood?" Where was I bleeding from? Why was I bleeding?

"Jacob, listen to me. We need to get her to a hospital. That was a seizure and as far as I know, Ryanne has never had a seizure," Billy said with surety. If anyone would know, it would be Billy.

"She hasn't," Jake replied. How did he know? Okay, I knew everything about Jake and it would only stand to reason that he would know everything about me as well. I should probably get off the defensive. I would feel the panic clawing at my throat, my breath coming in quick, shallow gasps.

"Calm down Ryanne, calm down," Jake begged me. "Annie, can you hear me?" I just kept breathing, trying to focus on anything to calm myself down.

"Jacob, you have to have a story to tell Charlie," Sue said. "A seizure is an easy enough excuse, but we can't just tell him that we kept her here."

"Can we move her?" Jake asked, his hand in my hair. "Look at me, Annie. Please look at me. Or talk to me."

"I called an ambulance, Jake; they'll be here soon. But she needs to go to the hospital," Billy's voice whispered.

"No, she doesn't," Leah whispered. Leah? Jake's hand brushed through my hair, his thumb stroking over my cheek. "It's the imprint bond," she continued. "It's because of something that Jake did."

"I didn't do anything," Jake swore. "Her sister on the other hand," he growled, but he didn't quite finish the statement before another snarl ripped through the air. My stomach churned, burning and bubbling everything that it held.

I pushed myself up with quivering arms and let everything go. Jake's hand rubbed soothing circles on my back, his other arm wrapping around my shoulders before I could face plant in my vomit.

"You're okay, baby. You're okay. I'm right here," he promised. But this time, I couldn't believe him. The fear climbing up my heart made it impossible.

"Sue?" he asked, pulling me back against his chest.

"She needs to go to the hospital!"

"I'm telling you, Mom, it's just the imprint bond. Something that happened with Jake made this happen. She'll be fine after some rest and reassurance."

"Sue is right," Billy said, his voice ringing clearly even to my cotton-filled ears. "Charlie will want to hear from his daughter soon and telling him the truth is the best way to go about this."

I could hear the sirens not far off. My head was lying against something warm that was throbbing against my temple. I was still panting, hoping that I could manage to get enough air into my lungs to tell Jake that I was scared.

"Annie, I know you can hear me. Listen to me, baby girl; you're going to be just fine. We're going to get you to the hospital." I didn't want to go to the hospital ever again. "You're going to be safe, Annie. I promise you I won't leave your side, that I'll keep you safe."