Possessing a Heart

"Sweater Weather" by The Neighborhood
****************************

"What is it you are waiting for.?" said Lady Sif curiously.

Sigyn's eyes drifted away from the frosted over window. It had been six months and six days since Loki revealed seeing her in pain distressed him. After his two-week journey towards the elves out west, he returned and showed King Odin he was fully capable of negotiating with other realms. The king then took it upon himself to appoint both Thor and Loki to junior executives of their father's kingdom. They were to negotiate with other realms with generals and then report back to Odin. The king deemed this fitting since both were now men. Thor was now married while Loki had proven himself a man at only seventeen. Even though Loki and Sigyn secretly spent time together, much of the prince's spare time was spent traveling to other realm's for his father.

Young Sigyn's time was now spent as a personal handmaiden towards Lady Sif. Sheer luck brought forth such a job for Sigyn. Four afternoon's after prince Loki's departure towards the elves, Sigyn was plucking wild berries for her mother to trade with the local baker. There had been two maidens laughing heartily over Lady Sif's lack of hair, and Sigyn did not put up with such rude talk. Her emotions were already scattered worrying about prince Loki not yet reporting back to Asgard by dragon, and hearing two individuals being cruel regarding another was terrible. Sigyn stomped her way over to the women and berated them for their awful words. She accused them both of being jealous of Lady Sif for being both glorious in looks along with being set to marry the heir of Asgard. That alone silenced the both of them. To Sigyn's shock, the maidens had not been alone in the berry field that afternoon. A cloaked figure had been nearby, and paused Sigyn from leaving.

It was revealed to be Lady Sif under the cloak, still too embarrassed to show forth her maimed head. She had been plucking her own berries given she was too embarrassed to possess a handmaiden since she lost her hair. The maiden expressed strong gratitude that Sigyn had defended her honor, and then proceeded to offer her a position as her personal chambermaid. Given she would be granted a salary much higher than even a position of working under Queen Frigga's head chamber maid, Sigyn jumped at the opportunity to accept the position. If she were honest, she also accepted the position for the mere opportunity of coming across Loki...

"I was admiring the change of leaves," Sigyn answered at once, finding this was not entirely a fib. She was admiring the orange and red of the changing leave, but, she was also daydreaming.

"Tis a boy..." Sif argued, smiling softly.

Indeed it was. But, Sigyn could not reveal such a thing. The more time that passed, it was discovered to Sigyn that Lady Sif was a very generous individual. She paid Sigyn a healthy salary and also allowed her a day break from work each week. But to take into consideration, Lady Sif was also a lover of gossip. Quite a bit information she knew she repeated, even to Sigyn in pleasant banter. This is why Sigyn at once shook her head quickly from side to side. She could not share her innermost thoughts with her employer. Sif frowned. "Tis a maiden?"

"No," Sigyn chuckled, shaking her too-blonde of head. "I held my head in the clouds for a moment m'lady, it will not happen again."

"Yes, well, tis quite all right. Tis after all, your day of birth," Sif said, arching a light brown brow. She gently caressed her swollen abdomen that showcased her four-months-along pregnancy. "I command you spend the rest of your day off, Sigyn. This last chore will be all for the evening."

Sigyn's head spun so fast to look at the woman, she nearly felt dizzy. "But miss, there is still quite a bit to do! I have not offended your honor, have I??"