Hospital

It happened unexpectedly and quite quickly. Also at the wrong time. Luck was never on her side, and today life decided to throw a big boulder on top of her that crushed her flat. Life was a bitch. Amy had decided to take a vacation to LA by herself to enjoy some time she had off of work. Her idea of a relaxing time off was cut short by an emergency surgery she needed to have. So now Amy sat in a hospital bed waiting for everything to happen with nobody next to her. "Miss, do you have anybody that you would like to come over before your operation?" a nurse asked. Amy's operation was going to be in a few hours, and all of her family and friends lived on the opposite side of the country. She knew they wouldn't be able to make it, and that was a fact. She knew one person in the entire of LA. Mark. And Amy hadn't talked to him for many a years. Last time she saw him was in college. They had been best friends, but eventually drifted apart as he moved to LA after dropping out and she pursued her passion for art. Amy remembered him giving her a note at on their last meeting with his phone number and a note that said: 'if you're ever back in town, call me.' She had put the number into her phone but never had the guts to call him. That was 10 years ago. She wondered if he still had the same number as she pulled out her phone.

Mark looked at his phone as he sat by his computer, editing. 'Unknown number?' he thought as he pressed the green button, curiously. "Hello?" he asked.
Amy's heart jumped to her throat, he sounded the same as he did 10 years ago. "Um, Hi? Mark?" Amy said trying to be calm. "Who is this?" he questioned. "So this is going to be really awkward, I don't even know if you remember me..." she rambled "Amy?" he said. Mark's heart skipped a few beats. He was flushed by the countless memories they had shared in college. Every party they went to, drunken kisses they had shared (which Amy did not remember), and his feelings which he had harboured towards her. "And to what do I owe this pleasure?" he asked a smile spreading across his face. "Remember when you gave me that note at graduation? Well I'm back in town... " Amy began slowly. "You're in town?" He questioned. "Yeah and I was wondering if you wanted to meet?" She asked. "When?" "Does right now work?" She asked hurriedly. "Now? Yeah that works" he responded saving his unfinished work and running to get his coat from by the door. "Where are you?" He asked heading out of his house and jumping in his car. "In the hospital..." she said hoping he wouldn't back out. "I'm headed there right now" Mark quickly said. When he thought Amy had hung up, he whispered into his phone "I missed you." 

A few minutes later a familiar person walked through the doors of the anxious woman's hospital room."Mark!" She exclaimed feeling comfortable around him already. "Amy!" He hurried over to her, "Are you ok?, What happened?" he asked. "It's nothing, just needed a surgery" she said smiling, just glad he was here. Their friendship picked up just where it had left off as he pulled out a chair to sit next to her bed. A few hours must have passed because the nurse walked in. "Mr. Fishbach, you have 5 minutes left" she said before walking out. That was when it hit Amy, she was actually going to have to do this. Mark must have sensed something because he pulled her into a hug. In his embrace she lost her hold on her emotions and began to cry. "Shhhh, Amy it's going to be ok, you're going to be ok" he whispered in her ear, stroking her hair. Amy pulled herself together enough to look at him in the face. In this moment Mark made a snap decision, something he had wanted to do for 4 years, and regretted not doing for 10. He used his hand in her hair to bring her face closer to his, and softly placed his lips onto hers, uncertain. Before she could react or say something, the nurse returned and said his five minutes were up and ushered Mark out. Amy looked at him with wide eyes as he walked out of her room with a beet red face. He had definitely distracted her from her surgery, as her last thought before fading into the powers of anaesthesia was Mark.
Amy woke up in her hospital bed, back in her room. She looked around and saw 20 'get well soon' balloons scattered around her room with a few vases of colorful flowers. Confused, she looked around for a card or some type of addressed item. Her eyes landed on a small post it note stuck to her bedside table. 'If you're ever back in town, call me.' it said. Amy suddenly remembered all of the events previous to your surgery. She frantically reached for her phone, also by her bedside, and began calling Mark. When he picked up she didn't actually know what to say. A minute went by of complete silence before Any finally broke it. "Mark, I need you" she whispered almost inaudibly. At that Mark was already on his way to the hospital.

He walked in sluggishly not knowing what to expect. When he arrived she smiled up at him slightly. He shuffled his way over to her. "Mark..." she began, her voice raspy. Mark reached for a cup of water by her bedside putting it up to her lips. Amy gratefully accepted, and took a big gulp. She swallowed before you continued "what happened yesterday Mark?" She asked. He looked at her fragile state before sighing. "I- I'm not quite sure Amy." he managed to get out before looking down at his hands. "Yeah, me neither. If you're gonna kiss me, might as well do it right" she mumbled. His head shot up to look at her. "Shoot, did I say that out loud?" Amy asked turning red. He answered her by moving a hair out of her face, and leaning into her. This time he added just the right amount of pressure, his lips moving in sync with hers. His tongue brushed against Amy's bottom lip and she opened her mouth slightly letting him come in. Soon enough she went up for air. Panting from the heated kiss. "Was that better?" he asked, slightly chuckling. "Much." She said, blushing.

He stayed by her side until she was emitted from the hospital, coming by every break he had. "Mark, you really don't have to come every day" she said looking at him walking into the room. "Wow, and I thought you enjoyed my company." he said jokingly, putting a hand over his heart. He walked over and pressed a kiss of her temple. "Besides, I come here to check out the cute nurse, not you" he said smirking. Amy swatted at his arm laughing. He stayed with her until he was called back to work.

Amy were out of the hospital in no time. Thanks to Mark's company, time seemed to fly. Today was her last day in LA, and she decided to to out for dinner with Mark. She was outside of her Hotel room Mark following behind her, insisting you got back safe. She turned around after she opened the door. He handed her a small card with his hand writing on it.
'If you're ever back in town, call me."
Amy smiled and looked up at him. "I hope it doesn't take another 10 years" he said rubbing his neck, a smile playing with the corners of his mouth. She grabbed him by the collar and pushed his lips onto hers. When she parted she replied "It won't, I can bet you that." He turned to leave when she called out to him. "Oh and Mark, I missed you too."