Stealing Light

Shadows on all sides, demons crawling towards my soul, trying to snatch it from me. I sat, curled up in my room, on my floor, assaulted from all fronts. Like a fortress, they were firing on me, breaking down the walls. Sadness, pain, those were their flaming arrows. Fear, doubts, swords stabbing at my defenses. Relentless, painful.

Help me!

Their claws tore away at the outer edges, infecting me with their lies. Pulling me down. I struggled to sit up, to uncurl, but they would not let me. They were fighting hard, pulling, pushing, keeping me down. I wanted to fight back, but my hands were tied because I had believed them, let them creep in. I had sat here alone and crying, inviting in the darkness, and now it was consuming me.

O' Lord, please save me from the darkness! Deliver me from them! In Jesus Name Amen, I cried out mental, tears falling from my closed eyes. I rocked back and forth, shaken by the force of the shadowy blows. They were stealing the light from me, covering it with their dark hands, blacking it out. I screamed, wanting to push them back but I was not strong enough. I could not do it. Little by little they blotted out my fire, snuffing it with their black hands.

More tears fell, hot and salty, down my cheeks as I shouted, "Please, Heavenly Father, save me from the darkness!" then I bowed my head, falling to the ground and whispered, "In Jesus Name, Amen."

It loomed before my eyes, the shadows of death and the blackness. Like cold frozen hands, they gripped me, dragging me closer to them. I was slipping, falling away. But then, I wasn't alone. My best friend was there, hugging me, holding me. I felt her kindness, her gentleness and I was reminded of God's love, of His unconditional love for me. None of the lies they screamed in my ear were true, the doubts, they vanished. I heard them scream in pain, now I was attacking them. My light shone brighter, the darkness slunk away, returning to its black pits.

Go! Get! I mentally yelled, knowing that God was always there for me. Suddenly, a verse came to mind as I fought back, brandishing my sword against their harsh words, "Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—" Ephesians‬ ‭6:10-18‬

I lifted my eyes to the heavens then bowed my head humbly, Lord, grant me the strength to always wear this armor, to remember to be carry with me, "the shield of faith," "the sword of the Spirit," "the helmet of salvation, ""the breastplate of righteousness," and to wear on my feet, "the preparation of the gospel of peace," and to wear on my waist the belt of truth. That I may not fall like this again, and hold back the darkness. In Jesus Name Amen.

Like a great weight lifted from me, I sighed. The attack was over, and next time, I would be prepared.

This story is dedicated to @LiannaYoung and an entry into her contest. God bless you all!