Chapter 7

Daniella's POV

I took longer in the shower than usual. I have done nothing but think and overthink by now.

Sonia and I are what you can call friends, or as I like to call it, an acquaintance. We've had coffee a few times together during breaks but that was all. The only thing we shared was our disdain for that one junior class in specific.

I never really cared to know her and I never really paid much attention to her, so I have no idea of what to expect from her. I'd like to think she wouldn't actually tell on me just for the sake of it.

It's what I hope, at least.

"I'm sorry for taking so long," I say as I finally open the bathroom door, tying a knot on my robe.

"It's ok," she says simply from the bed. She's already under the duvet, waiting for me.

I turn off the lights before laying beside her on the bed and cuddling up to her. "I'll talk to her tomorrow, maybe I'm just overreacting."

"Your fears are real, Daniella," she murmurs resting her head on my chest. "And you don't have to do that alone, I know you're scared. But you don't have to be scared alone — you can tell me everything, all your fears... I'll be here," she says looking into my eyes, searching them, even though the only source of light came from the window, a very dim one at that.

I know she's talking about more than the Sonia situation, sometimes I forget Anna is not as naive as I make her be.

I don't know what to say. Silence overtakes us for several seconds until I reach up to her face stroking her left cheek and planting a small kiss on her lips making her sigh.

"You can't kiss me as an answer every time you're confused," she says, holding my hand on her cheek with her own.

"I know," I whisper.

"Talk to me."

"We can talk tomorrow, we should rest and figure everything out tomorrow, you said it yourself," I say, giving her a small smile.

She simply lets her head smoothly fall back to my chest, I hold her for several minutes but I can sense she's not sleeping.

• • •

After leaving Anna at the shop I went straight to the Clinic, I've received an email earlier today. The doctors said my mom is stable enough to be at home, In the midst of everything that is happening, this is certainly a light at the end of the tunnel.

"It's official, you've made it," I say as I close the door to the room.

"Where are my 'you've beaten cancer' balloons?" she asks amusedly from her chair.

"I was certain my presence would be enough," I say, rolling my eyes as I sit in the chair beside her.

"What's bothering you, darling?"

"Just stressed, I sent my applications at the last minute, I don't know if I'll make it to the final cut."

"Nonsense," she sighs. "I know you, you're just like your father. You're great at what you do, you have never doubted it for a second. What is it that is really bothering you?"

"Mom, I can deal with my own problems," I groan.

"Just like your father indeed."

"I'm nothing like him, I wouldn't leave you."

"Daniella, let that go," she says soothingly, holding my hand in hers tightly, something that always seemed to calm me down.

"Why aren't you packing up?" I ask, in an attempt at changing the course of the conversation.