Chapter 14

I sat there awkwardly, shuffling my feet and criss crossing my legs in an attempt to look casual but still as sophisticated as he did. He noticed how uncomfortable I was and shifted further away from me. I was so grateful, because although he was so handsome, I was not used to being so close to a male.
"Assalamualaikum. The name's Nabeel Vaid. I'm sorry if I come off as a little awkward. I've never done this before and my family has always been very strict about segregation."

Really? Him coming off as awkward was the last thing I expected to hear. Yet, even though I would think it was an attempt to make me feel comfortable, I could sense the sincerity in his voice.

His voice.

It was a smooth, deep tune that played on the strings of my heart and created a harmony that only I could understand.

We gradually began to develop a conversation line, and after we introduced ourselves, we began to talk about the most mundane aspects of life. We spoke about our schooling, our childhood, memories and his siblings. It was as if we had been friends since the day we were born. Then, suddenly, Nabeel remembered that he had a few questions to ask, and I did too.

Nabeel: So, how would you rate your relationship with your family?

Me: I would say that my relationship with my family in general is pretty good, although my mother and I are always at each other's throats. Still, I guess I will miss her and appreciate her when I get married because I'd know her worth then. It's complicated but I hope we do build it over time.

Nabeel: And your father? He seems like a good man.

Me: My father and I have a strong relationship but I wish it could be stronger. I would do anything to be able to spend more time with him and talk to him about what my life is really like. Still, he's my role model and the kind of person I want my husband to be like. (I immediately realised how awkward that must have seemed, and blushed a crimson red) Err you?

Nabeel: (laughs) Well now I know what to aspire to be like! Oh, my parents and I are on good terms now but I haven't had the greatest past so I feel like there will always be that rift between us. You know... I messed up pretty badly when I was around 16 and now it's coming back to haunt me.

Me: If you don't mind, I'd like to be able to walk into a relationship knowing that I am aware of the other person's faults rather than allowing it to crop up later and ruin the marriage. I've also messed up, although I now know that it wasn't as badly as many people lol (*cringe* Who says lol in real life? But... It IS 2016 right?)

Nabeel: Oh wow! This is... A lot more complex than I thought. If you want to know, I'll tell you, although I do want you to keep this just between the two of us. I'm not proud of myself and you won't be either. I'm sorry if I let you down

He smiled a weak smile, his lips moving apart to reveal just the slightest shade of white. Maybe, amidst whatever he was about to say, there would be a little white. Even if it's just a little.

I inhaled deeply. What was he about to tell me?