Chapter Nineteen: Cards

~ a little bit of me and you doin' alright... A little bit of life ~

Chapter Nineteen: Cards

"Really?"

I glanced at Max's closed bathroom door, pausing to make sure I could still hear the shower running.

"Yes really. Does this surprise you?"

"Uh, yeah. I figured if you hadn't done it before you left, there was no way you guys would last until you got back."

I rolled my eyes at my best friend, despite the fact that he couldn't see it, listening to Max sing to himself in the shower the next night at his parent's.

"Well, we can't very well do it while his parents are around, can we?" I began, listening to Lucas' breathing on the other side of the phone call. Lucas let out an amused snort.

"To be totally honest, I didn't think it would matter," he said. "Max strikes me as the kind of guy to go for it when he thinks the moment is right."

I rolled my eyes again. "Why are we talking about my sex life?" I paused. "Or lack thereof, I should say."

Lucas laughed. "Because it's interesting!" he told me. "I like knowing how the other half lives."

I chuckled. "He's getting closer," I mentioned. "You should've seen what he did to my neck the other night. We looked like freaking animals."

Lucas let out a long laugh. "Maybe it's best I didn't see it," he mentioned. "You're like my little sister, and knowing your having sex is totally different than seeing any kind of proof."

I grinned. "You'd probably kill him."

I could sense my best friend's smile. "Probably."

I rolled my eyes again. "Why don't we ever talk about your sex life anymore?"

Lucas snorted. "Because Sophie and I are taking it slow," he told me. "She knows how I was before I met her, and I'm doing my best to assure her that I want her for her, not for sex."

I sighed and nodded a little, content as I played with my mom's dog tags. "I'm hungry," I stated, changing the touchy subject and looking over at the clock. It was nearly two AM here, which was nearly one AM for Lucas.

Lucas laughed. "It's a bit late for food, isn't it sweetie?"

I looked up as I heard the shower turn off. "It's never too late for food, loser," I teased. "I'll call you back tomorrow, alright?"

My best friend chuckled. "Fair enough," he said. "Love you, Simmy."

I smiled. "Love you too, Lucas."

I hung up, looking up as Max emerged from the bathroom in a pair of swear pants, his partially damp hair hanging low in his eyes. He smiled at me, gently, slowly walking over to where I sat on his bed and taking me into his arms, kissing my cheek softly. He laid down with me across his bare chest, squeezing my hip.

"God, you're beautiful..." he whispered, resting his forehead on mine and inhaling lightly. I giggled, kissing his nose.

"I'm hungry," I stated, pouting cutely. Max grinned, sweetly tucking my hair away from my face.

"Well why don't we figure out a way to fix that?" Max laughed. He slowly laid me down beside him as he stood up, walking over to his dresser. He tossed me one of his thinner zip up hoodies and threw on a t-shirt, before grabbing a sticky note from a drawer and scrawling something on its colorful paper.

"C'mon," he spoke, taking my hand and pulling me up. "Put on the hoodie and grab some shoes.

I nodded, complying as he grabbed a jacket and threw it on. He slipped into a pair of shoes as I grabbed my phone, watching him stick the note beneath his light switch and quietly open his door. He took my hand, pressing his fingers to his lips to tell me to be quiet as he snuck out of his bedroom. He quietly padded out into the living room, nearly silent as he tugged me to the front door. He grabbed the keys to his old car and opened the door, guiding me outside.