S U R P R I S E

P r e v i o u s l y . . . 

"Ready, handsome," she replied.

"Oh I like that," he smiled, and she peeked him on the cheek.

"Really? Cause I was talking to Brody," she giggled.

"That was cruel," he remarked, but he could see the humor in her eyes. He retrieved their food, while she grabbed her VONS uniform, and the keys. "Too work."

"Too work," she agreed, and together they left their home. Al pulling the door shut behind them.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

"Fratello?" Al said into the phone, for the first time in over a year. 

"Alessandro," Joey, whispered.

"It's me," Al replied, trying to keep his voice low, for Lilly was fast asleep on the other side of the wall.

After a few minutes Joey finally asked, "Where are you?"

"I'm in Arizona," he confirmed, looking down at his hands. 

"When are you coming home?" Al's eyes closed at the words. He had thought about home everyday since he went away. He imagined opening their worn green door to the smell of mama's cooking. Joey playing whatever new game on the Xbox in the living room, but he never thought he could still call it home. "Alessandro, you are coming home, right?" Joey suddenly asked.

"Yes," Al finally stated.

"Good. We miss you. Mama's been worried sick," Joey added. "Do you need anything?"

When Joey said that a thought Al had began to develop into more, and he talked to Joey about it. After Al talked to Joey and figured out all the details of his trip, he went back to bed. Lilly rolling over to lay her arm across his torso. Al bent towards her, taking in the soft smell of lavenders from her hair. 

It had been two weeks since Al called Joey, since then, Lilly completed her last final, as well as, last day at the stadium. Al turned in his and Lilly's two week notice at VONS, and he phoned the supervisor for Lilly's security job. He began packing the both of them in secret. 

So when Monday rolled around, and Lilly rose to the sound of birds chirping instead of her alarm, she was shocked. 

"Shit! I'm late," she bounced out of bed, hitting Al in the face with her sheets in the processes. "Get up," she yelled, throwing a pillow at his face when he just chuckled at her. 

"Lilly come back to bed," Al asked, sleep still in his voice, as he let out a yawn.

"Are you nuts, we've got to go," she replied. Has he lost it! It's Monday, not Saturday.

"No we don't. Now, get over here, and I'll explain," Al stated, setting up and resting his head on the headboard, while patting the spot beside him. With a weary expression, Lilly complied, sitting beside him.

"Spill, Army Man," She ordered. 

"I should have told you sooner, but I wanted it to be a surprise," he began. "I got us tickets to Montana to spend the holidays with my mom, and brother. You were saying how you wanted a white Christmas with family, so I was trying to make that happen," he was becoming nervous that he completely messed up, until Lilly flung herself onto him. She hugged him tightly, excited by the news.

"When do we leave?" She bounded.

"Tonight at 5, for the plane ride at 7. I got clearance, so Brody could ride as our carry on. Sometimes being a veteran has it's perks," he shrugged.

"Awe, this is so perfect!" Then, her face literally embodied a deer caught in the headlights.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I haven't packed," she moved to get up, but he pulled her arms back towards him.

"You're packed. All you have to do, is lay down and go back to sleep. You've done so much for me; let me take care of you," Al said, holding her to him.

She didn't know what to say, for maybe the first time in her life; she was speechless. Al wanted to care for me. He did all of this for me. Lilly felt Al place a kiss on her forehead, as she snuggled into his chest, and went back to sleep. 

"Ohmigosh! I'm so excited! I've never stayed on a mountain before. We're going to cut down the Christmas Tree?" Lilly asked, standing next to Al in line to get off the plane. She had a thick scarf wrapped around her neck, a pair of snow gloves stuffed in her purse, thick jeans ducked into snow boots on her feet, and a thermal cream colored long sleeve. They had been on the plane for four hours and Brody was itching to get off. He stood still, but Lilly could hear his silent whines. "Almost there, sweet boy," she cooed. "Which reminds me; I bought a jacket and boots for him, so he wouldn't get too cold," Lilly stated digging around in her bag.

"Let's get off the plane first, angel," Al chuckled. He loved seeing her so happy, but he had been silently dealing with the fact that this was his first time seeing his family in more than three years.

Behind his laughter, Lilly heard something off in his voice. She thought for a moment, and it dawned on her, "Crap, I've been so stupid," she shook her head. "Al," Lilly spoke, to anyone else it would have seemed as though she was simply calling to him, but Al saw her outstretched hand, and the look in her eyes. She understands. He took her sweet hand into his. Holding it with his life, as they excited the plane.

"My mother and brother will both be here to pick us up. Also, before you hear it from them, my real name is Alessandro. I shortened it when I joined the Army, and haven't been able to go back to it until now. I just want you to know," Al stated, but it seemed as though he was going through a list in his head.

"Hey, hey, look at me," Lilly asked, and he did. "Everything's going to be okay. Your not going into battle. You're going to see your family, and no matter what you are loved, there is proof standing beside you," she added, nudging him.

"Did you just say, you love me?" Al asked.

"Not me. Brody," she replied, smiling at the dog sitting beside him. They both laughed at the pup.

As they we heading towards the baggage claim, Al pulled Lilly to his side, and whispered, "For the record, I love you too." He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, before retrieving their luggage from the belt. 

He said it, Lilly knew her face was beet red, but she couldn't stop it. He loves her, and she loves him. She needs to tell him. Really tell him, but the moment is gone. 

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

T o   b e   c o n t i n u e d . . . 

Hey fellow bookworms,

I hope you guys caught the subtle hints of what is to come. Thank you for your patience! I'm officially back! Whoot whoot! I've missed writing :)

Love you guys!