Twelve • Wreckage

A lingering ashy smell polluted the air. Moving closer to the building that you recall being a robes shop, you saw the real impact the creature.

The fallen rafters were snapped in small pieces and and held the stench of fire as there was massive black burn marks on them. Walking through the ruble of the building you saw giant gouges out of some of the support beams.

There was no mistaking it. It was the work of a dragon. Yet how had no one seen it? People lived in the upper level apartments of these shops. Someone must have seen the massive, flying, fire breathing beast.

"A dragon did this. I can't imagine why. There are no known wild dragons in Britain." Newt said, as he made his way through the wreckage to where you stood.

"It wasn't a wild dragon, Newt. Someone put it up to this." You said, as you sifted through some of the smaller pieces of the building.

"I don't think..." Newt hummed as he looked around.

"Look at this." You said, as you picked a broken chain link.

"A chain? Why would you even chain a dragon!" Newt said as he nearly shook in frustration.

"There are plenty of terrible people, who don't think of animals, or magical creatures the way we do. I'm sorry, Newt." You replied with.

Shoving the piece of chain into your pocket, you walked back through the wreckage and onto the street. Newt following suit.

"So now what do you suggest we do, Mr Scamander the beast expert?" You asked, with dull sarcasm.

"We wait for the next attack or we go look at the other scenes." Newt said, as he took out his notebook and started jotting down something.

"Well...we have a few hours. We might as well look at another scene or I can meet with my informant?" You suggested.

"Oh yes. Of course. Meet with this informant. The only thing is, what do you expect them to know?" Newt asked, a slight bit puzzled as to why.

"They are known as the most infamous buyer and seller of magical creatures this side of the Thames." You said, in the most grave tone you could to prove your point.

"Marty? Marty Cornell?" Newt asked almost instantaneously.

"Yes actually. How do you?" You questioned.

"He's a good friend of mine. I have dealt with him on more than one occasion..." Newt said nonchalantly.

"You're just full of surprising things aren't you?" You asked.

"Well the most surprising thing about me would be my brief case, and that's not all that special." Newt said as he turned away and began to walk down the street.

"What?" You asked.

"That's where I house my creatures, like Pickett there on your shoulder." Newt said, as he glimpsed over his shoulder at you.

"How? What?" You stuttered.

"You were there remember? You and your sister were almost charged by an Erumpent?" He offered.

"That was in a case!?" You nearly shouted.

"Not so loud! People are looking at us weird." Newt said, as he looked around slightly paranoid.

"Get over yourself." You joked, as you sped up to walk beside him.

With a warm, yet awkward smile Newt laughed at your usual bickering nature.

"Marty will know if there was any dragons brought into the country. We should definitely talk to him first before we look at any of the other scenes. On top of that it would be too late by the time we got back." Newt said as he looked away again.

"How would we be too late? Not planning on taking me out to dinner are you?" You teased.

With a bright blush Newt swallowed, making his Adam's apple bob down his throat. He was so cute it was almost cruel to make him embarrassed. His crush was almost as obvious as your own. This might just work, you thought to yourself.

Please vote on the chapter if you liked it. How old were you when you had your first crush and how did you know them? I think I was 9 and I went to school with mine.