Here Comes A Thought (Song-fic)

Take a moment to think of just,

Flexibility, love, and trust,

Take a moment to think of just,

Flexibility, love, and trust.

You could see Alphonse across the room. Neither of you had said a word, listening instead to the sounds from the other room. The sounds of an operation on a conscious patient. The sounds of an older brother working to try to fix what had been broken by his own actions.

Edward was getting automail.

Alphonse had specifically been told to stay out of the room, and you were never particularly fond of the operation process. Besides, Edward wasn't the only one who needed comforting right now.

You stood up from your seat, silently walking over to the armor and sitting beside it.

No one said anything.

Here comes a thought that might alarm you,

What someone said and how it harmed you,

Something you did that failed to be charming,

Things that you said are suddenly swarming.

"(Y-Y/n)," Al's voice shook slightly.

You turned towards him to show you were offering a listening ear. For the moment, that was all you could do.

"D-Do you think it was stupid for us to try?"

You hesitated for several seconds before speaking.

"What's done is done, and you can't change it now. But I don't blame you for trying. With what you've both been through already, I would have tried it too if I thought there was a possibility it could work. You shouldn't be too upset with yourselves."

And oh, you're losing sight, you're losing touch,

All these little things seem to matter so much,

That they confuse you,

That I might lose you.

"But, there's so much I can't experience now. I've lost the ability to eat or drink, I can't sleep," he trailed off, "I can't even feel anymore. Can I even be called the same person anymore? Am I even human still?"

You remained silent as he continued.

"What if I'm stuck like this forever? What if I never find love now, who would want to date someone who's just a suit of armor? This is all my fault, I felt that something was wrong before we started the transmutation, I should have acted on it instead of just going along with everything without protest."

His large arms hugged his legs to his chest. Even without being able to physically feel, his body still expressed distressed.

You placed a soft hand on his shoulder. His glowing red eyes met your gentle gaze.

Take a moment remind yourself,

To take a moment and find yourself,

Take a moment and ask yourself,

If this is how we fall apart.

"Alphonse," you spoke in a comforting tone. "You're much more than just a suit of armor. You're Alphonse Elric, a kind, loving soul that any girl would be lucky to have as her partner. It doesn't matter what you look like, so long as you continue being you. That's all that matters, and that's all that should matter. If a girl doesn't like you purely because you don't have a body, then she's not worth it. I still think you're pretty great."