Chapter 16

Nabeel's POV

It had been the one night I had looked forward to for ages. I had stayed up the night before planning what I was going to wear, and being a casual get together, I had went for the most street wise outfit I could pull together.

I had slipped on a silvery grey Armani jacket, with a casual black tee under and black ripped Zara jeans. The Nike Airs, which were a big deal back then, was my favourite item in my wardrobe and I wore it that day, just like every other day. A spritz of PlayBoy deodorant, a comb and blow dryer through my hair and a bandana to add that extra touch told me that I was ready.

As I had mentioned to Husna, the scene I was met with was unlike anything I had expected. All the popular teenagers at school were there, like royalty, and then there was me. However, it didn't end there. So many unfamiliar faces greeted me, and I was curious to find out who they were. I leaned over to my friend who was hosting the party and he told me that it was all the 'ladies' who wanted to come. He told me that boys were only allowed as per invite, but he welcomed all the women who sought him.

He continued to speak and shocked me when he said that many of them asked him to sneak them out and were from good, Halal families. Some of the girls , he said, would walk in with their Pardahs so that of anyone saw them they wouldn't know and they could leave without shedding their layer of 'modesty.' These same girls wore jeans, crop tops and some even mini skirts or cocktail dresses in the party house. It made the think of my older sister, who was around the same age as these 18 year old girls, and how I would react if she did something like this. It worried me even more that because of the evolution of time and society's rules and norms, my little sister and brother would be caught in the same trap or something even worse.

I squirmed uncomfortably on the spinning chair that my friend had told me to sit on while we were talking. The Cherry Vanilla Coke that I had so eagerly taken now tasted bitter on my tongue. A few seats down, another girl from a supposedly pious family sat, away from the dance floor or games room. I shuffled towards her and noticed that she was still wearing a hijab. It bewildered me how a girl could wear the garb of piety in the den of Shaytaan.

Little did I know what would happen.