Bride and Groom (Finale)

I leaped out of the taxi, throwing the fare at the driver and sprinting up the church steps. Signe followed close behind, our dresses jumping frantically around our legs. Crashing through the church lobby doors, I scanned the empty room. I turned to Signe.

"Go find him!" She pushed, "Stop this before it even begins." I raced through the hallway down the side of the church, past the offices and a library and the Bride's Waiting room. I shot a jolting glance behind me to Signe, "I'll be look out, don't worry." Our feet hammered and echoed down the stone hall way as the looming sound of the church bells rang out, calling in the families. I had 5 minutes, maybe 6, to unveil what I had been disguising for the last 6 years.
A slammed foot into the ground suspended me outside a white door that read, Groom's Room.
To my exact left stood Signe. Never stopping to breathe, she urged me.
"Go on, you can do this! If you don't, you'll spend forever wondering-"
My fist seized the golden handle and threw open the door. I stepped in.
I felt a hot lump loosen itself in my throat as I stared around the empty room. I took another step. There was a white table decorated with a large three part mirror, standing at one end of the room. On third of the mirror was angled at me and I squinted back at my reflection. As I looked behind me the white door shut and I heard footsteps and a grumbling voice from outside. My eyes shot wide to attention.

---

I closed the door behind her and clasped my hands together in hope. This better go well.

For a moment, the hallway was empty, the coast was clear and I planted my post outside the 'Groom's Room'. As I lined my eyes around the cool, stain glass windows bordering the slim hallway, I heard slouched footsteps pad towards me.

"Well hello, young lady." Said a rusty yet warm voice. I turned my head left to look down at an old man standing a foot from me. I thought that perhaps he was slightly hunched at first, but when he stepped forward I saw that his body was completely straight, he was just very small. "Shouldn't you be with the bride?" He waved a skinny hand at my dress, "I remember on my wedding day, my wife was so nervous she spent an hour by the bin in her room." He let out a reminiscent chuckle and brushed the back of his hand against his nose.
"right."
"Of course she wasn't my 'wife' then, not yet." He continued
"no."
"It was much like today," He grinned at the warm sun light gushing through the coloured glass opposite us, "our wedding day... Although, of course it was raining.""
My vacant nod suddenly jumped to alert as the door on the other end of the hallway swung open to reveal a man with unmistakably, red hair. I shot my eyes from the old man next to me, to the Groom's Room behind, and back to Mark. He was coming this way.
"I'd never speak a bad word of that place but it always rains there, heh!"

"Uh-hu." I hummed, trying to think quickly.
"That's what I get for getting married in Ireland." He chuckled again. Ireland. A second head of bright hair walked through the door and I knew-
"Ireland did you say?" I grinned, "I know just the man you should talk to!" I span the old man around and quickly pointed to Jack's unaware figure as it neared us. Then I blindly flung the door behind me and leaped through. No one saw me, thank God.
I stood up straight in the empty room and scanned around me.

Mark and Jack's voices arrived behind the door, inches from me and I remembered I had no time to stop. Where do I go?

I spotted a tall cupboard across the room and ran to it, madly shoving aside the coat hangers and jumping inside. With fumbling fingers I managed to get the door as closed as possible and I was left in the dark, the only source of light, a weak slither coiling it's way through a crack in the wooden door. I reached for my phone and turned it on to get my bearings.

"AHH!" I screeched, a headless face suddenly lighting up in front of me, "Y/N?" Her eyes were so white it's no wonder they weren't glowing.
"What are you doing in here?" She hushed
"What are you doing in here!" I hissed back
"I thought you were Mark."
"So you hid in the closet?"

"I got scared"

"How does that make this any easier?"

"Aren't you meant to be watching the door?" I slow creak shut both of our mouths and we froze to the sound of Mark and Jack entering the room. They were chuckling.

Mark's voiced bellowed in comparison to our muted lips, and no trace of suspicion ran through it. They chatted and chuckled for a few moments and I glanced down at my phone. It was 12:22. Y/N had 3 minutes to do something, but what? We had dug ourselves into an in explainable situation, we could hardly jump out and yell 'surprise' could we? Could we?

I angled my phone away from me and a soft glow cast a silky shadow across my friend's features. She was staring intently at one spot on the door, every few seconds craning and adjusting her head. I realised she must have found a crack in the door when her eyes shot up barely a second before Amy's voice had materialised.

"You mind if Mark and I have a sec?" Amy asked, hopefully just to Jack.
"Sure," The door closed gently behind Jack and the room was quiet for a second. Y/N's eyes shifted up.

"Hey it's bad luck for the bride to see the groom on his wedding day", Mark's voice was happy, I saw Y/N'S eyes narrow.
"I wanted to see you." Amy's voice was sweet and calm.
"Are you nervous?"
"You know what, no. I'm just excited. We're getting married!" A foreign laugh rang out from Amy, furrowing my brow. It's register was too high for Mark and yet I noted an unfamiliar sense of sincerity netted with in it.
"I can't wait." Mark returned the giddy laugh.

"I love you so much"
Y/N's eyes had paused. I saw her jaw release.
I looked at my phone again. 12:29.
Amy left the room, the door barely making a sound as it closed.
"You can do this." Mark's voice was steady and sure.

He left, too.

I let the room settle before speaking again, "This is your last chance, you can catch him if you go now" I kicked the cupboard door open and stepped out, looking to Y/N expectantly.

"Well go on! Chase after him!"
She didn't speak. Instead I watched as she stepped out of her half of the cupboard and walked into the centre of the room. She lightly shook her head, and I copied suit.
Then, an airy arm lifted from her, to land on the desk next to her. Her fingers grazed over a small stack of cards, patterned with black letters. She shook her head again.

------------

"Amy, I have been trying for weeks to write the perfect vows for you. And after all that time, all I had written down was this: 'Amy, I love you'. I couldn't think of anything else to write. I can't think of anything else. It's all I think about. No matter where I am, what I'm doing, whether I'm happy or sad, morning or the middle of the night, you are all I think about. Amy, I love you."

"Then I pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride." The vicar declared and everyone one cheered and clapped, but no one more than me.
Mark was happy and Signe was right. The best couples do always have a way of finding each other.

Mark and Amy,

Husband and Wife.